Author Topic: Help to date and identify two family portraits  (Read 3157 times)

Offline lewlew1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to date and identify two family portraits
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone for the replies - they are very helpful and interesting to know what you think!

The relatives who I think they may be, are George Severn 1855-1930 and Mary Bonsall 1861-1935. In 1888 George was a colliery machine clerk, 1911 colliery check weigher. George and Mary were also shop keepers, from at least 1881 until they died. I have attached an image of George that I found from a newspaper article recording his death.

or

Joseph Dawes 1856-1929 and Mary Parkin 1854-1922. Joseph was a Coal Miner Contractor in 1911 and also listed as a grocer too.

The newspaper photo of george SEVERN looks very similar to the man in the photo.

But what has confused me is the son of Joseph DAWES and Mary, (Edmund Dawes 1890-1951) I think resembles the woman (the nose and eyes) which would then mean she is Mary DAWES/PARKIN  and not George and mary severn?

I've also attached a photo of Edmund (left) and his brother Fred (1884-1953) (right) i am not sure when this photo was taken or of the ages, so if anyone has an idea of this it would be helpful too ???

Thank you

Offline lewlew1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 13:00 GMT (UK) »
I think they're about 55 and 50, so a couple born in the 1850s. The papers look like a map; did anyone go on a big trip in the 1900s? Are there any details on the photo card (front or back) giving clues as to where it was taken? (Even the design of the card, the shape of the stamp box and so on can provide clues.)
Peter

Hi

Im not sure if there was a big trip,

The photos are both the same size post card photos. Stamped with van ralty on the back and some writing but i am not sure what this means.

Offline lewlew1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I also have this photo of my Great great Grandmother, Im not sure if she resembles the original two photos, meaning they could be George and Mary Severn?

Her name is Eliza Jane Severn (1891) again I am not sure when this photo was taken or what the picture says about her.

Thanks

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Theres a site called cartedevisite link below, which lists Van Ralty as a Photographer with various Studios from 1840-1940. Another site lists the Studios from 1915-1929.  Take your pick!

http://www.cartedevisite.co.uk/photographers-category/photographers/u-to-z/photographers-v/

I think the numbers on the rear of the card are possibly the images reference number, in case they wanted further prints.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I think the last photo, which is really interesting, has to have been hand coloured at some point.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline lewlew1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you purlin

I think the studio would have been the Nottingham one.

I think the last photo, which is really interesting, has to have been hand coloured at some point.

Yes I really like this photo. I sharpened it, the original was less defined - not sure if that makes a difference. I know it is b&w but is it possible to guess her eye colour/hair colour etc btw?

Thanks

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Well how strange, i see the hair as auburn and well, it just appears to me that it has been tinted or coloured.  Yes, it is a beautiful photograph and i'm sure its treasured by the family.  i would guess her eyes are hazel!

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Actually, thinking about it further, it may be that the print has not been totally washed after fixing and so therefore the chemicals that remain on the emulsion have chemically altered it.  i see blues and as i say the hair as auburn.  There is also a hint of sepia to it, whatever the reasoning, its a great photograph.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 February 19 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I hope you don't mind but I gave her a make over  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU