Author Topic: Finding someone's USER name on Ancestry?  (Read 4471 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Finding someone's USER name on Ancestry?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Alternatively, like my son who has done an Ancestry DNA, she doesn't actually have a tree on Ancestry, or she is American (my son lives in USA) and only has a subscription to Ancestry.com as he does..  She would still show up as a match with you.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes this is a right pain in the bum. I half suspect Ancestry don't make it easy, because they don't want people to have private trees.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 15:00 GMT (UK) »
In my son's case he doesn't have a tree anywhere.  He only paid his fee for the Ancestry DNA

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 15:48 GMT (UK) »
It is an amazingly stupid and archaic system, and I have no idea why they do it this way. It should just be a simple button on the person's profile that says "invite to see your tree". No typing or matching of their username required on your part.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 16:28 GMT (UK) »
There must be 1000s of people who've taken an Ancestry DNA who haven't got a tree on there.  Lots of people who've had their DNA done haven't got a tree anywhere.  They just watch WDYTYA and assume if they get their DNA done they will find out that their ancestor was a royal or similar.  (Like Danny Dyer).

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I have invited people to my trees on a number of occasions always with the screen name but you do have to use it exactly as it is down
have to admit sometimes it takes twice its not a site renowned for helpfulness but so useful if you manage to work through it ;D
It is risky to do that as as I found, people can have identical screennames, but very different user names, sometimes they are the same, but often not.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 17:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a new feature called “shareable link”. If you copy and paste the link into the message you are sending by your other means of contact, they can be a guest to your tree.   

Eg I did that via rootschat message having no idea at all of my contacts Ancestry user name etc, just that they did have membership,  I believe it could be used for someone with no Ancestry membership at all.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies - and sharing my moans about Ancestry  ;) ;D

I'd not seen the 'shareable link' feature, and I suppose that could be posted into a message on Ancestry to the person I'm trying to invite.

i do realise many of the people who have used Ancestry for DNA don't have trees.  And even if they do have trees, and are apparently my cousins, looking at their trees (even large ones) doesn't necessarily show where the link might be.

This is why I have done some research for this particular contact I was mentioning - I have created a small tree for her, using information she's provided, and it is this small tree I'd like to invite her to see/contribute to.

Given the contents of this 'research' tree are her relatives (not mine - can't see where the link is yet) I'm scarcely going to make it public without consulting her.

Anyway - thanks for all the comments, once again!  ;D

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I have invited people to my trees on a number of occasions always with the screen name but you do have to use it exactly as it is down
have to admit sometimes it takes twice its not a site renowned for helpfulness but so useful if you manage to work through it ;D
It is risky to do that as as I found, people can have identical screennames, but very different user names, sometimes they are the same, but often not.

Well I guess I have just been lucky for last 16 years ;D
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk