Author Topic: James BARBOUR-New Cumnock  (Read 1547 times)

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James BARBOUR-New Cumnock
« on: Monday 04 February 19 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I have hit that brick wall and looking for help/advice.
Looking for my 2 x Grandad James Barbour born in Dundonld in 1862,he married an Eliza Ferguson in 1883 in New Cumnock,she died in 1896 and he remarried in 1897 to a Mary Hutchinson Brown born Glaston Ayrshire in 1867,where they had 4 children between 1898 and 1907 to go with the 6 from his previous marriage.
 I have them in the 1911 census still in New Cumnock but cant find anything about James,Mary or their 4 kids after that,obvious thinking is that they emigrated but struggling to find info with shipping lists etc.Wondering if anyone might be able to give help or advice please.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES BARBOUR-NEW CUMNOCK
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there's a death on Scotlands People for a Mary Barbour other name Brown  age 51 in 1918 in New Cummock which could be her the cert should tell you if James was still living at the time

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not saying that Rootschat isn't the best Genealogy Forum in the world ( it is of course) 👍👍, but there is a very active "New Cumnock Group" on Facebook.  Sign up to join the group,  You may well find some living relatives on there that can help, (I have) it's a very active group, and obviously members have a particular interest in New Cumnock, it's not an actual genealogy site, but it does pop up with question like yours sometimes, and responses are forthcoming!  Good luck with your search!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:07 GMT (UK) »
And 4 deaths of a James Barbour between 1924 and 1936 born c1862 although none of these in Ayrshire but he could have moved

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there's a death on Scotlands People for a Mary Barbour other name Brown  age 51 in 1918 in New Cummock which could be her the cert should tell you if James was still living at the time

Thanks Wendy,don't know how I didn't find that when I looked,that's her,and James is still alive as he was the informant.

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
And 4 deaths of a James Barbour between 1924 and 1936 born c1862 although none of these in Ayrshire but he could have moved

No luck on this one Wendy,thanks anyway.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 19 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Pogo, I've taken the liberty of putting your request up on the Facebook New Cumnock Group, I hope that's Ok with you, if not I can remove it! Just let me know!
 (I also have Ferguson/Fergusson in my family) !
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 06:41 GMT (UK) »

Looks like this is ticking along for you! That's great!

Pogo, I have had a response from a member of the New Cumnock Group on Facebook, who has info for you re your Barbour Family.

This person has offered you access to her tree on Ancestry,but she will need your Ancestry user name if you have one, or alternatively, your email address, so she can send you the official invitation, which will come to you via Ancestry, and with a password for you to use. 

We aren't permitted to put our email addresses, or our personal info on Rootschat, but you can send me a private message on here, with your contact details, I can pass them on to her through the Facebook New Cumnock Group. Alternatively, if you are already on Facebook, you might like to join the New Cumnock Group, and contact her through there! Good, luck, and let me know how you go!

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections