Author Topic: Was a WW1 Sergeant higher ranked than a Rifleman ?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Was a WW1 Sergeant higher ranked than a Rifleman ?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Here's his record card - you may understand it better than me

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Here's something from his Officer Records

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes,,that’s where I was getting the info.
It shows (under Corps) he served only in the Rifle Brigade ie not in some other regiment as well..  That when he qualified for the 1914/1915 Star his rank was Corporal (his final soldier rank was probably acting serjeant  medal cards do not show acting ranks held but he wore serjeant’s stripes, was paid as a sjt and did a sjt’s job)
It shows he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant and later became Lieutenant. (the date of commissioning I gave earlier is from the medal roll)
The stamp on the top right is showing which Rifle Brigade medal rolls his 3 medals were recorded in.  From the bottom, his 1914/1915 Star (here called 15 Star) was on one roll and his British War and Victory Medals were on another roll.  The roll numbers and pages are given.  The rolls are on Ancestry.  His 1914/1915 Star was first listed on the soldiers roll and then changed to the Officers roll hence the double entry in the red writing.
The notes opposite “Action taken” are letter references related to the issue of the medals.
It shows that the first theatre of wear he entered was France on 21 July 1915.
On the back it shows he claimed his medals when he was at the Demob camp at the end of his service (officers had to claim their medals).

The sheet from his officer's records is in fact what is called the Minute Sheet.  It goes at the front of all the correspondence in the file and the hieroglyphics record letters coming in and out and being dealt with by the various offices looking after the file.  It means nothing at all today.  May I take it you have the file??

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
As you have the war diary you might like to see the area of ground over which the fighting took place on 3 September.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.0162&lon=2.8223&layers=101464777&right=BingHyb

In the diary for that day, 11 Battalion is referred to as 1st Battn 1st Bde in the list of attacking troops.  Their assembly trenches were a little below Waterlot Farm (upper left of the map).  Their objectives translate as the track junction just above the E in Rue de l'Eglise down to the squiggles (trenches) on the right of Arrow Head Copse, the whole being the sunken road referred to.
MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
In December 1918, the army list of Rifle Brigade officers says he is attached to 1/6th Essex Regiment (attached meaning on loan if you like).  They were in Egypt Jan 1916 to May 1919 so this may have been the regiment he went to after commissioning.  Their war diary has not been digitised.

I'd appreciate it if you would let me know whether you have his officer records?  There is a researcher going to Kew next week who would be pleased to give you an estimate for copying.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline mackers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:46 GMT (UK) »
In December 1918, the army list of Rifle Brigade officers says he is attached to 1/6th Essex Regiment (attached meaning on loan if you like).  They were in Egypt Jan 1916 to May 1919 so this may have been the regiment he went to after commissioning.  Their war diary has not been digitised.

I'd appreciate it if you would let me know whether you have his officer records?  There is a researcher going to Kew next week who would be pleased to give you an estimate for copying.

MaxD
Excellent work MaxD. Regards Mackers

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you but I mustn't take the credit  - I have my sources!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks for all that info - yes I have his Officer records but can't really make anything out

Offline AngieToton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Here's another one