Author Topic: Location of Sinnott's Lane, Wexford  (Read 2327 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Sinnott's Lane, Wexford
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I see its in Wexford Urban No.2 on the Census.
I can see a Sinnott's Place in that area (I think) which isn't on the census wonder if it could be the same place.

Ah, now that is very useful. Now I know roughly where it is, using the info on the abstracts at start of every townland or street, in this case
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001300123/
- ays it is off South Main St. in a tiny urban civil parish.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Given the tiny, tiny, extent of St. Doologue's civil parish, it pretty much has to be Oyster Lane/Sinnott's Place,  as suggested by Dublin1850, or the equivalent lane to the west of South Main St.
Thanks again to all.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be quite a difference between the Modern and 25" Map on Geo Hive and Google Maps to the position of Oyster Lane.
I couldn't understand why it had been mentioned as I was looking at Geo Hive.
On Geo Hive Oyster Lane is where Google Maps gives Peter St and Harper's Lane
http://map.geohive.ie/

If you go on to street view Google Maps is correct with Peter's St., there is a sign on the wall.

I'm getting more confused the more I look at it.

I was trying to follow some of the family's living on Sinnott's Lane in the Census and Bride's St seem to pop up quite a bit (if I remember correctly) and Bride St appears on Google Maps to where Geo Hive have Sinnott Place.
Me head is wrecked ;D

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I've got that wrong, on the Eir Code finder Oyster lane is between Sinnott Place and Harper's Lane.
https://finder.eircode.ie/#/
Sinnott Place isn't marked on the map but they have the address and will bring you to the spot in the map view

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Having another look at google maps, where Geo Hive and Eir Code have Oyster Lane isn't marked on Google Maps, however using street view the ESB has it marked http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nco/

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 17:50 GMT (UK) »
You are correct. That is, they disagree.
POerhaps you could tell Google to take down the fake info?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 18:33 GMT (UK) »
You are correct. That is, they disagree.
POerhaps you could tell Google to take down the fake info?
Done

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Done

Personally, I would be interested to learn how and what they respond, if at all.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I got an automated Thank you straight off which says
"We'll let you know once the changes are published."
so we'll wait and see