Author Topic: Six ha'penny bazaar  (Read 205 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Six ha'penny bazaar
« on: Tuesday 05 February 19 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Google has failed me!  On the 29th January 1899, an advertisement was placed in the Sheffield Evening Telegraph: "Man Wanted, to travel with a 6 1/2d. Bazaar; able to assist in shop; must be used to horses; references required. - Apply Coach and Horses, Stocksbridge." 

I have no idea whether this was something organised by the landlord of the Coach, or whether he was just the point of contact for the person who wanted an assistant.  I am presuming that everything on sale cost 6 1/2d. (Marks and Spencers was known as the "Penny Bazaar", because everything it sold was a penny).  From this advert, it looks as if a man was wanted to travel with a horse and cart to peddle his wares, all of which cost six and a half old pennies.

Any thoughts?

Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Bramall (Bradfield/Wadsley)
Walton (Hunshelf)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Six ha'penny bazaar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Google "sixpence halfpenny bazaar"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 11:14 GMT (UK) »
The Coach and Horses would be a correspondence address for the proprietor of the bazaar.

Reading references in contemporary papers, the proprietors of such bazaars were "peripatetic merchants " who would hire empty shops for a short time, selling cheap household ware ("Brummagem goods") at knock down prices.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure when the practice ended but in rural and remote areas the
Pack Man visited,a peddler who sold small items of haberdashery.
Sewing cotton,elastic,buttons ,needles .pins ,tapes etc .
There was also a travelling shop,groceries etc,I can remember him coming with his horse drawn cart.
This was very rural Shropshire 1940íís.

Perhaps something like that but there would have to be premises where stock  was stored.The pub perhaps.

I donít know the comparison between prices,but sixpence halfpenny was the price of some pots and pans etc if you have ever seen photographs of rows of shops in those days.
Hope you get more info on this. 6 1/2,but wages were at only nine shillings a week (45p)for many labourers.
Let us know how you get on.
Viktoria

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone...I'd better go and get some work done now!  I'll look into this later.
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Walton (Hunshelf)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 19:50 GMT (UK) »
After changing the words I searched for, I came up with a court case in the newspaper, 1901, Sheffield.  A man named Edward Wild ran a sixpence-halfpenny bazaar in Sheffield, and he employed hawkers to take goods out on a dray.  One of these men was accused of loading up his dray with goods with a total value of £25 2s. 2d. and returning with goods to the value of £20 15s. 6d. (not accounted for in sales).  So he was being prosecuted for the missing £4 6s. 8d worth of goods.
Which I think is a pretty good explanation of why someone would be advertising for a man who could travel, work in the shop and be good with horses.  :)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Crossley (Penistone)
Walton (Hunshelf)