Author Topic: Fegan  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Lorna Liggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fegan
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello I’m back again. I searched the names you gave me. Yes Isabella fagan b 1832 married W J Brown in coleraine and went to NSW in 1855. Her brother William john b 1828 was already in nsw. Then I found another sister Mary Jane b 1826 who also went to NSW. then I found another sister olive esme not sure if she born in Ireland but died in NSW.
I’m not sure if father William john b 1798 in agherton coleraine, with his wife Nancy,  went out to NSW and they had olive there. But I can’t track her back to ireland. I suppose I have to find out if the parents came back to Ireland and had Samuel b 1837 in order to make a connection. Confusing to say the least. I have searched Coventry graveyards in coleraine for John fagans burial but nothing so far. Maybe some day a little nugget will put me in the right direction. Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 May 19 19:10 BST (UK) »
I have searched Coventry graveyards in coleraine for John fagans burial but nothing so far.
Covenanter/Reformed Presbyterian burying grounds? Around Coleraine there's Ballyclabber, Ballylaggan, Ballymoney R.P., Kilraughts, etc. but the family might not have put up a headstone. None of those places are that close to Agherton (which is outside Portstewart not Coleraine). The burial grounds in Agherton (broken up into several sections) would be worth checking but again possibly no headstone.

Seems unlikely that family went to Australia, had a child (Olive Esme) then returned to Ireland by 1837.

Isabella Fagan married William John Brown in Coleraine district in 1852- the actual certificate isn't online yet. Where exactly did the marriage take place? Registry Office perhaps? The marriage will also list her residence and names of 2 witnesses.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGVD-3Z98
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lorna Liggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 12 May 19 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this info.
I have searched and searched for the elusive Samuel Fegan born 1835 ( son of John Fegan)
On samuels marriage record 1874 it looks like James wascrossed out and Samuel written above it??  Strange.
Anyhow I am now looking at a James Fegan born 1835 in rathfriland to a John Fegan - originally from Cavan. In johns will he leaves £1 to James - where abouts unknown??  So where did this James/Samuel work??? 
I will just have to keep searching.

Lorna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 12 May 19 20:07 BST (UK) »
Samuel's marriage (1874) clearly says father John Fegan- the wedding took place in Church of Ireland but marriages usually take place in bride's church-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1874/11243/8123158.pdf
On samuels marriage record 1874 it looks like James wascrossed out and Samuel written above it??  Strange.
Not strange at all. Just a clerical error as noted in margin.

In 1901 Samuel, wife Mary & 2 children are here-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Poyntzpass/Ballynaleck/1037090
Samuel & family here in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Poyntz_Pass/Ballynaleck/307435

Samuel's death-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1913/05338/4486442.pdf

Posted earlier (reply #24)-
Administration of the Estate of Samuel Fegan late of Ballinaleck County Armagh Farmer who died 3 May 1913 at Ballenon in said County granted at Armagh to James Samuel Fegan Farmer.

Why do you think that the Samuel in 1861 English census is the same man?
And why do you think Isabella & William John (& Olive Esme) are related?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 12 May 19 20:25 BST (UK) »
Anyhow I am now looking at a James Fegan born 1835 in rathfriland to a John Fegan - originally from Cavan. In johns will he leaves £1 to James - where abouts unknown??  So where did this James/Samuel work???

The £1 bequest was to ensure that son James couldn't turn up later and contest his father's Will by claiming he had been unintentionally omitted.

Rather than jumping all over the place looking at Fegans in Australia, Coleraine, Agherton, etc. have you checked the valuation records to see whose name is listed for the pace Samuel lived?

Offline Lorna Liggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 May 19 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hello. In my initial search for Samuel I thought get the coleraine one was a match but now I’m sure it isn’t.
Good to know it was a mistake on the marriage certificate.
From research on John Fegan I believe he died in 1867 which was before samuels marriage in 1874??  Yet not recorded as deceased??  But if his father didn’t know of samuels where about when he made his will maybe they were estranged??
Got the census records ok but can’t find samuels whereabout before his marriage. 
We think he may have worked at Raffertys farm near markethill which was his wife’s maiden name but so far nothing found
It’s uphill all the way.
Lorna

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 12 May 19 20:33 BST (UK) »
From research on John Fegan I believe he died in 1867 which was before samuels marriage in 1874??  Yet not recorded as deceased??  But if his father didn’t know of samuels where about when he made his will maybe they were estranged??

That doesn't really make sense. If he mentioned James getting £1 to prevent any claim he would have mentioned Samuel.

Irish marriage certificates don't always note if deceased father is dead.

You still haven't explained the Australian bit.

Offline Lorna Liggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 12 May 19 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello
Yes we searched tithe etc but can’t get anything to say who owned this 4 acres before Samuel.

Offline Lorna Liggett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 May 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
In relation to Australia that was when I was looking at the coleraine fegans.