Author Topic: Help - 24th Reserve Battalion  (Read 89 times)

Offline NatalieDeCruz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help - 24th Reserve Battalion
« on: Tuesday 05 February 19 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Evening all, i was wondering if anyone can help me.  Im new to WW1 research and with some help i have discovered by G Grandfather served in the 24th Battalion.  His name is Edward Samuel Clark born 1881 Battersea.

I have a record from the Surrey Recruitment Registers 1908-1933 which has him listed as Edwd Saml Clark with a birth town of Bermondsey.  His profession was a Butcher, he was married to an Ethel Maud Chaplin, and his next of kin address is 291 Lynton Road, Bermondsey.  ( I know this address is correct as its also listed on his brother records, as well as the birth of my grandfather.)  The only number i can find, is 55429.  I am assuming this is a service no of sorts, and have been searching on line and tried various ways of inputting that no, TR/10/55429, L/55429 etc, but am just getting v confused. 

Can anyone help or send me off the right direction please.

thanks all x

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help - 24th Reserve Battalion
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
The battalion he was allocated to when conscripted was 24th Training Reserve battalion.  The Training Reserve was formed in Sep 1916 and is explained here:
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/training-reserve/

From this we see that his service number was given the TR 10 prefix so that is where TR 10/55429 comes from. 

I see no  record other than the recruitment register for him which suggests that he did not serve overseas.  As a butcher, his skills would have been just as useful in UK and he was getting on a bit.  Alternatively, he was posted to another regiment from the Trg Res but, like 60% of WW1 records, his are lost in WW2.

Do you have anything that suggests overseas service?  What document has his next of kin on it?

MaxD

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline NatalieDeCruz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying, i have been looking at that document, so glad i was on the right track. 

I don't have any documents indicating that he was overseas, i only have the one registration document for him relating to service and his next of kin isn't listed on there at all.   

What was trying to find out is how long he served and where he would have been based during that time.   

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
As that record is the only one that seems to exist, all that can be said is that he was allocated to  24th Reserve Battalion at Shoreham.  I would suggest that he didn't go overseas (there should be a medal card if he did) and that his service record was lost in WW2.

Even if you are able to find an absent voters list for his address in 1918, and that shows he was serving, it won't say where.

This scenario is, frustratingly, all too common.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline NatalieDeCruz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, and thanks I think i will draw a line under this now.

As that record is the only one that seems to exist, all that can be said is that he was allocated to  24th Reserve Battalion at Shoreham.  I would suggest that he didn't go overseas (there should be a medal card if he did) and that his service record was lost in WW2.

Even if you are able to find an absent voters list for his address in 1918, and that shows he was serving, it won't say where.

This scenario is, frustratingly, all too common.

MaxD