Author Topic: Henry Jones 1st ship builder of Portmadog born 1782 died 1861  (Read 8305 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones 1st ship builder of Portmadog born 1782 died 1861
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 February 19 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Llanbeblig is Caernarvon, 20mls from Portmadoc. David/Catherine wedding entry gives address of David as Gwernddwyryd, Penmorfa (less than a mile from where I live). Baptism record gives father's occupation as Mariner, and residence, Portmadoc. So the Penmorfa one is the correct one.
David's parents are buried at Penmorfa, Jane d. 27/06/1854 age 81, and Owen Roberts, date/ age not given in Monument Inscription (MI) booklet. Also a son Owen d.09/10/1835 age 23.
Family moved to Gwernddwyryd in 1826. Book of family trees 'Achau ....." by T Ceiri Griffith, [152] bottom, follows family back 5 generations. Gives David Roberts jnr's (b 1849  d.1917) ship as the Annie Lloyd.

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Emyr
Thank you so much.
I have found Owen and Jane in the 1851 census so have found a sister
And possible another 2 brothers in the 1841 census though doesn’t state relationships as we know.
I have Capt David Roberts of the Annie Lloyd sorted and his oldest brother Henry who married in Ballarat NSW Australia returned to live in London, his 3 children never married , late in life he was caretaker for many years at the welsh chapel in Fann st London
Best wishes k

Offline Bodfari Tom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 August 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be so late to the party, but I only googled Henry Jones today and found this thread. (I've also just signed up to RC to join in, so also excuse any breaches of protocol.)

William Roberts/Gwilym Eryri is my great-grandfather, so I can share a bit of extra info about him and his son Evan (my gf) and the fate of our branch of the Jones/Roberts family. I'm very interested in the article Emyr mentioned and anything else on that subject. Plus of course all info about Henry and Capt David Roberts.

I was in Wales (from Australia) in June and found what I take to be the record of Henry's birth in the Pwllheli parish register. He's listed as Harry, son of "John Jones (ship's carpenter) and Elinor his wife" and the date is October 12th 1781 rather than 1782. Make sense? It fits with his age and birthplace as listed in the 1841 census.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 August 19 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
Henry Jones was aged 79 Census night 7/8th April 1861 and was 80 when he died on 23d November 1861, so was born April 1781 - November 1781. So there's a good chance that the BAPTISM record you've found is correct as the father was a ship's carpenter.
Emyr

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 August 19 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom and emyrs
Tom never to late to join the party
Am so thrilled to see your post.
I was struggling with your g father Evan.
Since my last post I have found Mary’s death and her last four children.
I am just out of Port headland heading to Broome doing the Grey Nomad gig so internet dropping in and out. I will send a private message when I can so we can catch up . I am so excited to swap info
Best wishes k

Offline Bodfari Tom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 01:01 BST (UK) »
Great news. I just wish I'd seen the thread before I was in Port, Caernarfon and Manchester (where the family moved after WR/GE either died or ran off to Canada) in June. But if you get in touch I can send you a scan of the Pwllheli PR entry and some other stuff. I also found some Lloyd's Register paperwork on the barque Henry Jones yesterday, which is an interesting sidelight. I couldn't get the link-shrinker to work for me, so here's the whole thing: https://hec.lrfoundation.org.uk/archive-library/documents/lrf-pun-barbwk38-0187-r-henry-jones-1850

Fingers crossed EmyrBorth sees this too and we can get on the trail of that Gwilym Eryri article. The librarian at Port dug out his entry in Hanes Porthmadog for me, but I'm guessing you know about that.

Offline Bodfari Tom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 01:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Emyr, somehow managed to miss your reply till now. Correction noted. Yes, I thought the carpentry connection was the clincher. Is the article you mentioned readily accessible?

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom
Are you on ancestry.com
Karen

Offline Bodfari Tom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 01:46 BST (UK) »
No, I'm not. I've only just got into investigating beyond what I've known for decades – largely because I was at a loose end in N Wales while my beloved was at a conference in Bangor.