Author Topic: Henry Jones 1st ship builder of Portmadog born 1782 died 1861  (Read 8294 times)

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones 1st ship builder of Portmadog born 1782 died 1861
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 August 20 08:44 BST (UK) »
i would once again like to ask for help with this family.
Capt David Roberts of the "Annie Loyd" who married Sarah Evans was the grandson of Henry jones first ship builder portmadoc.
Capt David Roberts and Sarah Evans had a son David Roberts who in the 1891 census was born 27/12/1873 at Portmadoc. he was listed as an apprentice engine maker
i am unable to find him in the 1901 or 1911 census.
his fathers death notice states states he is a marine engineer at 127 high st Portmadoc.
1939 census shows him at 3 Marine Terrace a retired marine engineer and local fuel overseer.
he is listed as a widower, at the same address is an Ann Roberts single born 20/04/1910 who i assume is his dau.
i would love to find a marriage,or death date or any info for this David roberts.
any help would be most appreciated.

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 August 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
Good and Bad news. Capt David Roberts appears in the Welsh Mariner's Index
 ROBERTS    David   born Porthmadog    1873   Cert No. CC30960        Capacities    2e95 1e98      Kew Ref. 139/16

With this information I expected it to be fairly straightforward to find the his 2nd engineer certificate obtained in 1895 and his 1st engineer certificate obtained in 1898 in Ancestry's All UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates 1850-1927. Maybe Ancestry don't carry Engineers Certificates.

Glyn

Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 August 20 22:30 BST (UK) »
127 High St appears to have been the residence of his father in law. there's a death notice from 1919 for David Rowland Thomas, tailor and draper of that address, dearly beloved father of Mrs David Roberts (nee M E Thomas)

She and David Roberts married in 1903. She was presented with an inscribed silver salver by the congregation of Ebenezer Wesleyan chapel, where she was organist, to mark the happy event. Her post marriage address was mentioned as Tanybryn

Suggestion for the marriage

Jun 1903    Bangor    11b   856
Hughes    Ellen Jane          
Owen    Richard        
Roberts    David         <<<
Thomas    Mary Elizabeth        <<<   

Mary Elizabeth Roberts was one of the executors of David Rowland Thomas

family on 1911 - including young Anne

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7JD-1VR

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 August 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
There is a gravestone in Moel y Gest Cemetery for David  and his Wife child. Here is the Welsh transcription:
Er serchus gof am / MARY ELIZABETH ROBERTS / Anwyl briod DAVID ROBERTS / 127 High St. Portmadoc / A fu farw 29ain Ebrill, 1928 / 53ml oed. / Hefyd, am ei baban MARY ELIZABETH / A fu farw 7fed Ebrill, 1918 / 9 wythnos oed / Hefyd, am yr uchod DAVID ROBERTS / A fu farw 9fed Tachwedd, 1945 / 71 ml. oed.

Basically the translation is Mary Elizabeth Roberts beloved wife of David Roberts 127 High Street Portmadocwho died 29th April 1928 aged 53 years old. Also her baby Mary Elizabeth who died 7th April 1918 9 weeks old. Also David Roberts who died 9th November 1945 aged 71 years old.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 August 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
It would be interesting to work out why Mrs Roberts was at this event

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3413915/3413922/92/

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Glyn  and Mabel.
Awesome work! All of the above is correct and falling into place.
I have just found the marriage notice for David and Mary Elizabeth which confirms he is the son of Capt David Roberts of the “Annie Loyd”
I assume that is his war record on discovery looking at the preview I don’t think there is much more info on it.
The newspaper article from Dartmouth interesting perhaps David Roberts was also on that ship as a marine engineer, his mother was Sarah Evans there maybe a connection there.
I will look into it further,
Thanks again😀🍾

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had message that a reply has been received whilst I was typing below. Posting this and will look at the reply afterwards in case I mess up and lose what I've already typed.
Found the grave inscription in GFHS M081 pt. 1, MOEL Y GEST. Was going to Porthmadog early yesterday evening and visited the cemetery to check the accuracy of the transcription. It is correct, but your year Glynm for Mary Elizabeth jnr's death is incorrect - should read 1916 not 1918. Unfortunately the "6's" in the booklet are hardly distinguishable from the "8's". I've checked another source which confirms burial date 10/04/1916 - daughter of David Roberts, 127 High St., Marine Engineer. This other source also gives address of David Roberts at time of death in 1945 as 3 Marine Tce - see 1803 Emirates reply.
As Mabel Bagshawe says, family were living with wife's parents in 1911 Census - David not there as he was probably at sea. Wife same address 1901 - Mary E Thomas. Had a look at the newspaper re. Capt Thomas Evans presentation - can't find any connection to 'Mrs David Roberts'. Capt Evans lost his life at sea 01/08/1918 when the North Cambrian was in collision with another ship. Thanks for providing a link to the N.A. site - I have difficulty sometimes with searches on that site. At the moment, because there's a limit to the number of people allowed at the N.A. at Kew, you can downlead up to 50 records in a period of 30 days free of charge. Have downloaded - address medals were sent to is 127 High St., so is the correct one. Agree with you re. marriage. I tend to look up Free BMD first to find possible matches, then look up North Wales BMD as it gives the actual partners not just the list of persons on the page. It also says whether the marriage was a civil or 'church' - if 'church' it names it and you can get extra info from the parish register.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Forgot to mention - Mary E Thomas/Roberts' parents are buried in the next grave to her.
Ann Thomas, 127 High St.  d. 20/06/1910  aged 71
D R Thomas 31/03/1919   aged  76 (transcribed), 75 (on gravestone), other source 75.
Emyr