Author Topic: Henry Jones 1st ship builder of Portmadog born 1782 died 1861  (Read 8292 times)

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones 1st ship builder of Portmadog born 1782 died 1861
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 08:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks again everyone.
I had been going around in circles on David’s marriage to Mary Elizabeth Thomas because a wedding photo uploaded of his brother’s wedding in 1904 had her name down as Mary Ellen Roberts, so now we have confirmed her to be Mary Elizabeth.
They married at St Paul’s Wesleyan Chapel Bangor and left for there honeymoon to the south of England so David was then probably headed to Dartmouth.

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
CPT Thomas Evans was the brother of Sarah Evans Wife of CPT David Roberts of the Annie Lloyd. He was born in 1862 and as we no died at sea when the SS North Cambrian had a collision, he lived at 19 Snowden st Portmadoc.
Welsh Mariners index also shows he had worked on the Annie Lloyd

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. I have just realised a coincidence which has no bearing on the subject in hand . From Mabel Bagshawe's researches I note that Mary Elizabeth was an organist at Ebeneser Wesleyan chapel. My Grandparents retired back to Snowdon Street, Porthmadog in the early 1950's. My Nain Jennie Jones nee Thomas was also an organist at at the same chapel.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I wondered does anyone have MI’s for Rehoboth Chapel Harlech.
I am looking for Catherine Lloyd died 17/09/1891 also possibly her husband John Lloyd who died between 1866 and 1871
Thank you

Offline brwynog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 22 January 21 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my wife and I have just caught up with this thread whilst researching the Lloyd family of Cwm Bychan from whom she is descended. Catherine Roberts (the daughter of Henry Jones) married John Robert Lloyd (1826-1911) in December quarter 1866. She was his second wife, and his first wife (Catherine Thomas of Penycerrig, Llandanwg) had given him 10 children in 16 years. In 1870 John Robert Lloyd emigrated to Kansas, USA, with a third 'wife', Grace Jones, leaving Catherine, described as a widow in the 1871 census, to look after his first wife's children. There is a possible third marriage in Missouri in 1890 for John and Grace. Grace bore John Robert Lloyd 12 children, and there is an extensive article on the family by Dr Lewis Lloyd in the Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society, Volume 7, Part 3 (1975) and a follow up in Part 4 in 1976.

The MI for Rehoboth (Grave C032) is as follows.
Er cof mai yma y claddwyd / Margaret / gwraig Harri Jones o Borth Madawg / Saer llongau / yr hon a fu farw Rhagfyr yr 28ain 1856 / yn 74 mlwydd oed. / Hefyd y claddwyd y dywededig uchod / Harri Jones / yr hwn a fu farw y 23 o Dachwedd 1861 / yn 80 mlwydd oed. / Also to the memory of / John Jones, master mariner / eldest son of the above mentioned / Harri Jones by Catherine his first wife / who was lost in a storm near / Coldy Road, Bristol Channel on the 10th day of May 1870 / aged 48 years. / Part of the vessel was foud under / the Cliff Rock. / And likewise to the memory of / Henry Jones, Mariner, eldest sone / of the above mentioned John Jones / and Catherine his wife, died on his passage / from Liverpool: in lat. 2.5. N. Long. 23.12W / on the 18th day of March 1871, / aged 20 years
O dir a mor daw'r meirwon
Daw pob cnawd ddydd brawd ger bron
Hefyd er serchus gof am Catherine Lloyd / merch yr Harri Jones uchod / Bu farw Medi 17, 1891 yn 70 oed. / Wele myfi a'th burais, ond nid fel arian / Dewisais di mewn pair cystudd

Translated =
In remembrance that here is buried Margaret, wife of Harri Jones of Porthmadog, shipbuilder, who died Dec 28th 1856 at the age of 74. Also buried is the above mentioned Harri Jones who died 23rd of November 1861 at the age of 80. Also in loving memory of Catherine Lloyd, daughter of the above mentioned Harri Jones who died Sept 17, 1891 at the age of 70.

Hope this helps
Davyth

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 30 January 21 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Tx Davyth

Offline Tom73

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 02 December 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello one and all! This is my first post but I have learnt a great deal from following this thread - so thanks to all the contributors. I have been researching this family for many years and am currently trying to put my discoveries in some kind of order. To help with that I was wondering if anyone had a photo of the Jones family memorial inscription at Rehoboth, Harlech and/or any photographs of the family, particularly of Henry Jones or his daughter, Catherine, that they would be willing to share. Having died in 1860 I know that a photo of H.J. is unlikely to turn up.
Many thanks and best regards,
Tom   

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 24 July 22 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom75,
I have only just noticed your post on this thread, as in the past I have received a notification of a reply but not this time.
I started this thread sometime ago and am glad you have found it useful.
I am wondering if you are part of the wider Jones/Roberts family.
After your 2nd post you are able to reply by personal private message if you prefer.