Author Topic: Henry Jones 1st ship builder of Portmadog born 1782 died 1861  (Read 8295 times)

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones 1st ship builder of Portmadog born 1782 died 1861
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Found the family in 1841 thro' to 1871. One of the links by another Rootschatter gives place of burial as Capel Uchaf (now Rehoboth), Harlech. Margaret was Henry's second wife according to inscription. First wife Catherine. Master Mariner John Jones was Henry Jones' eldest son by his first wife Catherine. He lost his life when his ship went down in Bristol Channel during a severe storm.
No time for more now.
Emyr

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Here is an announcement of the sale,by auction,of his vessels in The Australia Inn,Portmadoc,dated December 1861.

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4510963/4510964/1/

A later snippet said the "True Love" went for £500-"a bargain".

Roger

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 February 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both
That is my Henry for sure lst married Catherine Williams ?
Then margaret

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 February 19 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Williams marriage:-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ndt/

Roger

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 February 19 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Some of the information below has already been mentioned by others:
Marriage, Llandanwg, Merionethshire, 25/12/1819, Henry Jones of Llanfihangel y Traethau, Bachelor TO Catherine Williams of Llandanwg, Spinster, By Licence, With consent of parents (this suggests one or both were under 21, but every marriage in the Parish for about 5 yrs before & after say this !). Witnesses: Robert Thomas & John Thomas).

Baptism, Ll y Tr, 17/02/1822 John, son of Henry Jones, Careg y Row, Ships Carpenter and Catherine his wife.
Baptism, Ll y Tr, 05/08/1823, William, son of Henry Jones, Cae'r Gro, Ships Carpenter and Catherine his wife.

Can't find Baptism of their daughter Catherine. Birth c. 1821 according to Censuses and MI.

Burial, Llandanwg, 06/08/1823, Catherine Williams, Careg y ro. Aged 41 (At this time wives would have been known by their maiden name, but often recorded in records by their husbands' surname. Careg y ro is in Ll y Tr and the abode in the 2 baptism records are obviously corrution/misspelling. The name appears on the current 1:25000 OS Map, and there is a record of ships being built near it.)

Marriage, Ll y Tr, 25/11/1825, Henry Jones of Ll y Tr, Widower TO Margaret Williams of Ll y Tr, Spinster, By Banns, with consent of those required by law. Witnesses: John Jones and Richard Roberts.

1841 Census at Holborn St (later renamed Lombard St), Portmadoc, Caernarvonshire:   Harry Jones ,55-59, Ships Carpenter, born in County;  Marged Jones, 55-59 and William Jones 15-19, both not born in County. Also Female Servant and 5 possibly Henry's employees in shipyard.

Marriage, Ynyscynhaiarn, Caernarvonshire, 04/06/1839, David Roberts, full age, Bachelor, Mariner, Gwernddwyryd parish of Penmorfa, father Owen Roberts, Farmer TO Catherine Jones, Minor, Spinster  -  ---, Clogyberth (part of Portmadoc) in this Parish, father Henry Jones, Ships Carpenter.

1841 Census  at London Road (later renamed High Street) Portmadoc:  Catherine Roberts, 20-24, (can't decipher employment, and Henry aged 1, both born in County, plus Female Servant.

Death 08/03/1849, Capt David Roberts of the ship Henry & Margaret, of cholera, at Limerick, aged 35.  Article in Gwreiddiau Gwynedd, 2002  No.4   p.3, 'A Morning in Limerick' by John Pilling. (Info from Achau – T Ceiri Griffith.)

Census 1851, Holborn St (later renamed Lombard St): Henry Jones, Married  69, Ship building & sailmaker – employing 18 men. b. Caernarvonshire, Pwllheli : Margaret, Wife, 69 ; b. Merionethshire, Harlech; Catherine Roberts, dau. Widow, 30, Formerly Master Mariner's wife, b. Harlech; Grandsons – Henry J  11,  Owen  9 , William  7 , David 2 ,  Granddaughter – Margaret 4 , all born Portmadoc, Caernarvonshire (not Merioneth as on form), plus servant and shipyard employees.

Death:  Margaret, wife of Henry Jones 28/12/1856. Buried Rehoboth (Capel Uchaf), Harlech (Scotch Baptist).
More to follow. Hopefully I,ve put down the above without error. If there's an error, please point it out.

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 February 19 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Emyr,
Sorry for my delayed response and a very big thank you.
I have nearly finished reading Immortal Sails by Henry Hughes and what a delightful book. He credits Henry jones grandson Capt David Roberts of the Annie Lloyd (did more to thrill me and fill me with the desire to become a sailor and see the world than possibly anyone else)and continues on with a wonderful description of him.
I have unable to tap into other families on this site investigating this family.
I look forward to any thing further you may have found when you have time.
Cheers

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 February 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
What is your relation to this family ?

I've got lots of info ready to put together and post. Censuses up to 1901. Reports of birth/death/marriage in Wales, England, USA, Rio de Janeiro and Belgium (World War1).

A friend of mine has written an article (in Welsh) about Gwilym Eryri, who was a sail maker, first in his father's business and then, after father's death, in his own business - and has an invoice for work done by G.E.

G.E. disappeared about 1896, and was last seen by another poet,  pseudonym Meiriadog, in Llanfair Caereinion.

There were 2 poets using the name Gwilym Eryri, William Roberts, Portmadoc and William E Powell, USA, originally from Beddgelert area.

Been busy and will be so for 2 -3 days - will put something together next week.

Emyr

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 February 19 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emyr
I am researching this family on behalf of a dear friend who is the great grand dau of Owen Roberts 3rd son of David and Catherine Roberts.
He was the chief officer on the Castle Carrick immigration ship arriving in The Bluff NZ on the 13/07/1874 he married Mary Alice Lyons who he met on the ship in NZ on 28/07/1874 At Invercargill. they moved to Newcastle New South Wales Australia. Owen Roberts and a young dau died at sea when Owen was Capt of the Niagara taking a load of coal from Newcastle to Noumea 1889.
A small problem I have is that when I ordered a print out of his marriage in NZ it does not state the name of his parents so i am still trying to work out if an original would sort this out.
I can see 2 Owen roberts born to David and Catherine jones,
1 bpt 15/08/1841 Penmorfa and the other 26/07/1843 Llaneblig
Not sure what that means yet.
I was hoping that all the other siblings boys would indicate which was right but that doesn’t seem to be happening.
Cheers k

Offline jillrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 February 19 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Just another snippet. From Pigot & Co's National Commercial Directory for 1835. Tre-Madoc & Port Madoc:  Ship Builder: Henry Jones, Tre-Madoc.