Author Topic: Josiah Mabert (Mabott/Marbet) The Greenwich, sloop  (Read 61 times)

Offline Jackdumplingbear82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Josiah Mabert (Mabott/Marbet) The Greenwich, sloop
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This has been a big conundrum and wondering if anyone can shed new light on this.

Josiah Mabert 1727 - ?1800 was commander of The Greenwich sloop. There are numerous records in the archive of his travels, and in the Burney Newspaper archives too. He is sent on a mission with the Order of the Green Cloth in 1750, tries to sell the sloop in 1753, then back sailing to the Netherlands in 1954 - 1956 ... then, according to the newspapers - he is lost at sea in 1756 .... there is no record of him ... Until, 1765 when he has another child, and listed as being a ship's purser. Then I have death records of him at Greenwich hospital Feb 1800, and burial record.
 but -
He also had a son called Josiah. 1755 - ?1800. He was a colleges man, so also working on the boats. He is also listed died Feb 1800 - but I can only find one Josiah Mabert in that year. So, they have merged into the same person - and no date of birth given. The death record remarks 'mate', so I presume it is referring to Josiah the elder as he was an officer....however, it is all very mysterious. I'm at a loss where to go. 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Josiah Mabert (Mabott/Marbet) The Greenwich, sloop
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
There was a Royal Navy pensioner named Josiah Mabert, admitted to Greenwich Hospital in April 1785, aged 60, not wounded, no wife, last ship the Princess Royal.

There's also a burial for a Josiah Mabert at St Alfege in Greenwich on 29 October 1755.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Susannah Mabert was buried at St Alfege, 13 Apr 1783, a purser's wife
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jackdumplingbear82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant! Thank you.

So I presume that Josiah the son died the year of birth. he was born 23rd Feb 1755, died Oct 1755. I cannot find the information with regards to a Josiah being a colleges man at the moment. But, this would explain why it gets muddled. Susannah was wife to Josiah 1st.

Thank you!!