Author Topic: Josiah Mabert (Mabott/Marbet) The Greenwich, sloop  (Read 479 times)

Offline Jackdumplingbear82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Josiah Mabert (Mabott/Marbet) The Greenwich, sloop
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This has been a big conundrum and wondering if anyone can shed new light on this.

Josiah Mabert 1727 - ?1800 was commander of The Greenwich sloop. There are numerous records in the archive of his travels, and in the Burney Newspaper archives too. He is sent on a mission with the Order of the Green Cloth in 1750, tries to sell the sloop in 1753, then back sailing to the Netherlands in 1954 - 1956 ... then, according to the newspapers - he is lost at sea in 1756 .... there is no record of him ... Until, 1765 when he has another child, and listed as being a ship's purser. Then I have death records of him at Greenwich hospital Feb 1800, and burial record.
 but -
He also had a son called Josiah. 1755 - ?1800. He was a colleges man, so also working on the boats. He is also listed died Feb 1800 - but I can only find one Josiah Mabert in that year. So, they have merged into the same person - and no date of birth given. The death record remarks 'mate', so I presume it is referring to Josiah the elder as he was an officer....however, it is all very mysterious. I'm at a loss where to go. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Josiah Mabert (Mabott/Marbet) The Greenwich, sloop
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
There was a Royal Navy pensioner named Josiah Mabert, admitted to Greenwich Hospital in April 1785, aged 60, not wounded, no wife, last ship the Princess Royal.

There's also a burial for a Josiah Mabert at St Alfege in Greenwich on 29 October 1755.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Susannah Mabert was buried at St Alfege, 13 Apr 1783, a purser's wife
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jackdumplingbear82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant! Thank you.

So I presume that Josiah the son died the year of birth. he was born 23rd Feb 1755, died Oct 1755. I cannot find the information with regards to a Josiah being a colleges man at the moment. But, this would explain why it gets muddled. Susannah was wife to Josiah 1st.

Thank you!!