Author Topic: Thomas Beesley b 1801 - manslaughter at Wolvercot 1828  (Read 2280 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Beesley b 1801 - manslaughter at Wolvercot 1828
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 November 20 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Just a correction - the manslaughter actually took place in July 1829.
==========================

Thanks for your post.  Yes I do have a copy of the WONDERFUL Fisher Row book by Mary Prior, and it has been a fount of information for my Beesley family.

Also, the book by Giles Brindley - "Oxford, Crime, Death and Debauchery" is a great source.  There is a lot in the local and national news about the crime and the miscreant, who escapes to London and is recaptured there and returned to Oxford for trial.  I have also looked at various papers from The National Archives relating to his transportation to Bermuda and his return, in my hunt for his identity. And I have also seen a transcript of the Court case.

However - the true identity of Thomas Beesley, convicted for Manslaughter is not proven (in my opinion).  Nothing in the Court Papers of the trial or elsewhere actually gives his identity.  The only clue is a Petition in 1833 from his father Samuel Beesley (there are several of them) and one comment in a newspaper that he had two children (which does fit <my> Thomas).

Mary Prior (Fisher Row, p 274 line 6-8) suggests this “is probably” my husband’s ancestor, who is also a Thomas Beesley, from Fisher Row in Oxford, b 1801, which seems to match the Thomas convicted and transported in 1830.  Also on p 274 she gets the end of his transportation sentence wrong which, I believe, leads her to the wrong conclusion.

However, <my> Thomas Beesley has a child in 1836/7 (or at least his wife Maria does, and both he and she are named in the baptismal record), which is while the convict Thomas Beesley is in Bermuda, going there in 1830 and returning in 1838 and pardoned in 1839.  Mary wrongly uses his return date as about 1837.

In 1841 there are three possible Thomas Beesleys - by age

1. one clearly my ancestor, living on Fish Row, with his wife Maria nee Collier and their family,
2. a second living with wife Mary (nee Lee) and children, also on Fish Row,
3. another, with wife Anna living just round the corner on Hythe Bridge Street.

I have not been able to identify this third Thomas, either his birth or a later death, but my hopes and suspicions are that this one is the culprit, not my ancestor.

Of course the convict may not have returned to Oxford.

I do have a lot more info about this case, if you or anyone has more information, or is interested in sharing this puzzle??  I would love to resolve it.

Who are Thomas Beesley, wife Anna, living on Hythe Bridge Street in 1841??? No 3 above???

Pam

Offline BORRI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 November 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I wasn't much help.
How did you get a copy of Fisher row ? Whenever I've searched for it, it's been either unavailable or £40. Does it have anything to say about Thomas/Francis Norris ?
Good luck with your search, sometimes ancestors just don't want to be found.
Norris-Oxfordshire/Berkshire/Middx
Barrett-Bucks/Middx
Soth-East Prussia

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 08:44 GMT (UK) »
We visited Oxford Library to try and get more information on the Beesley family about 2 yrs ago and the most helpful librarian went off to the shelves and brought back Mary Prior's book (which I had just heard about) and opened it up at the comprehensive Beesley Family Trees therein.   He then went on Amazon and we found a Used copy of the book, which I ordered straight away, and it has been my companion ever since!!

I have checked the Index and there is no reference to Norris....   (page 274 covers the incident).

Nor can I see a reference to Norris in the lengthier report of the fracas in Giles Brindley's excellent book.

However, Francis Norris is a witness in the court case where he says that "he accompanied John Thomas to convey Newman before the magistrate...  "  it says he is a labourer of Woolvercot and he signs with his Mark (ie can't write).

So that confirms the Francis Norris was involved in the arrest of Thomas Beesley - whoever he was, whether he was my ancestor or not!!!

Pam

Offline BORRI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 23:46 GMT (UK) »
You were right place, right time for the book.
I've got a book with an account of the incident but can't remember the author offhand. Might have also got it from Jackson's Journal. Francis Norris worked with the Police at the Wolvercote Fair/races so I suppose he was a person they could trust. On this occasion he showed very poor judgement. I must have the story on my PC, I will have a look. If I find it I will pm you, I know it won't help you but it might fill in a few gaps. If the story is in Fisher row and you have it on your PC I would be interested in reading it, save me £40 buying the book 😁
Norris-Oxfordshire/Berkshire/Middx
Barrett-Bucks/Middx
Soth-East Prussia

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a PM with more info...

Pam