Author Topic: Baptised Twice?  (Read 601 times)

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Baptised Twice?
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have an ancestor, William Henry Robinson who was baptised 13 Sep 1818 at Deptford, St Nicholas. In the margins of the page is a note about his birth which I can't completely make out but it says he was born 18 Apr 1811 - Can anyone read the rest?

But I have also found that a William Henry Robinson was baptised 29 Jun 1817 at Zoar Chapel High Street-Independent, Strood, Kent with the same date of birth given and same parents but stated as being of Frindsbury, Kent.

If this is the same person, why would he be baptised twice? Once as C of E and before that as a non-conformist?

His father was a mariner and the Robinson's stayed in Deptford thereafter.

Thanks

Kieran
Saunders, Curnow, Willcocks, Ginno, Hatt, Pleming, Mutton, A'lee, Robinson, Mullins, Reed, Dingle, Elphick, Shepherd, Rogers, Dyer, Pomeroy.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptised Twice?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I think the note in the margin reads 'as sworn to by the mother the affidavit being ?'
Maybe the parents were of two differing religious persuasions so had their son baptised into both? I have come across families who baptised alternate children into their differing faiths before
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:50 GMT (UK) »
There were advantages in being baptised an Anglican in Ireland for example, incl' inheriting land, attending university & obtaining a commission in the army. No doubt there were advantages in England also.
 In Scotland the shoe was on the other foot with the Penal Laws against Anglicans (Episcopalians) not lifted until 1792.

Skoosh.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Apparently there were differences of opinion in the Church of England as to the validity of non-conformist baptism, which is probably why he was baptised again at the insistence of the vicar.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Apparently there were differences of opinion in the Church of England as to the validity of non-conformist baptism, which is probably why he was baptised again at the insistence of the vicar.

That could well be true.  One of my wife's gt-grandmothers born in late 1835 was baptised by an itinerant Methodist minister in January, then again in December after a new church had opened in Shotley parish (Northumberland).  Or perhaps they were taking no chances.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for everyone's input and reasons why, interesting.

I agree the wording in the register is 'as sworn to by the mother the affidavit being ......?' not sure of that last word?

Kieran
Saunders, Curnow, Willcocks, Ginno, Hatt, Pleming, Mutton, A'lee, Robinson, Mullins, Reed, Dingle, Elphick, Shepherd, Rogers, Dyer, Pomeroy.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 19 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I think the last word might be "produced", which at least fits the sense of the statement.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I think the last word might be "produced", which at least fits the sense of the statement.

Yes, I'll second that - 'produc'd' in fact ?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young