Author Topic: Really angry now... Family Tree Builder  (Read 1969 times)

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Really angry now... Family Tree Builder
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all!
Can anyone help, I wonder?
Yesterday, family tree builder popped up. I rarely look at it. Offered to sync with my family tree on heritage-com. Fair enough, I thought, why not.
Today, 400 relatives are missing! It appears to have synced the lower number of people from family tree builder into my website.
Anyone any ideas as to how I get them back, other than do all then work again?
My latest backup was about 10 days ago (why is it only once a month?) and won't have most of them...
I'll be getting rid of family tree builder, if that's how it works!
Iain
Bell, McRae, Granlie, Petersen (in Denmark). Seems I'm now hunting McVicars, McIntyres, Murdochs...and there's a Livingstone in there somewhere!

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Really angry now...
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a family tree program? If so you can download a gedcom from it and upload a new tree that way to My Heritage or heritage.com.
Always advisable to keep your tree on a proper program and back it up on a portable hard disk.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar experience several years ago and sent a terse email to myheritage. All I got was a sort of apology but no help in resolving the fact that their then new sinc programme had resulted in broken links, loss of notes and the addition of a portion of somebody else's tree on one of my branches.

I'd actually only became a member of Myheritage because they'd taken over the website "gencircles" where I originally kept my tree and then closed it down - stupid me thought I'd find my hard work had been transferred to MH - no such luck.  (somebody at this point is going to ask me where was my back up - if they do, I think I might be giving my offspring the "silent treatment" again).
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 18:45 GMT (UK) »
No answer yet from heritage.
Cockneyrebel: I was under the impression that heritage WAS a 'family tree program'. If it's not, what do people recommend?
Rena: Keeping a backup was why I signed up (and paid for) the heritage backup service. I have yet (I hope someone can tell me?) to figure out how to do a backup onto a separate hard disk.
I see from my backup list that I have the latest, from 24th Jan. with 644 people, this is a good deal more than I have after the disastrous 'sync'. I'm not going to import it until I get the (expected) tough luck, mate! message from heritage... >:(
Reading about gedcom files, the impression I got was that they are simply data lists, and info still needs to be entered 'manually'. Am I wrong? I have a gedcom 'ready to download', but it's from 2nd Jan. so pretty small...
Sorry for all the newbie questions, but...I'm a newbie!
Iain
Bell, McRae, Granlie, Petersen (in Denmark). Seems I'm now hunting McVicars, McIntyres, Murdochs...and there's a Livingstone in there somewhere!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Gedcom files are text files, but contain (reasonably) complicated data structures ;D

What you can't transfer is images, photos, multi-media files etc.
No need to re-enter standard data, as that is catered for.

Example:
0 HEAD
1 SOUR PAF
2 NAME Personal Ancestral File
2 VERS 5.0
1 DATE 30 NOV 2000
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR ANSEL
1 SUBM @U1@
0 @I1@ INDI
1 NAME John /Smith/
1 SEX M
1 FAMS @F1@
0 @I2@ INDI
1 NAME Elizabeth /Stansfield/
1 SEX F
1 FAMS @F1@
0 @I3@ INDI
1 NAME James /Smith/
1 SEX M
1 FAMC @F1@
0 @F1@ FAM
1 HUSB @I1@
1 WIFE @I2@
1 MARR
1 CHIL @I3@
0 @U1@ SUBM
1 NAME Submitter
0 TRLR

Personally, I use RootsMagic on my home PC, with copies on Ancestry.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Is there no way to unsync them?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh Iain, you have been working so hard on this  :-\

I can't contribute to your question but just hope you find a solution and recovery of your data...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 February 19 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Aye, you've worked hard on it as well!
It's annoying, but I still have maybe 150 more people on the app on my phone. As long as I don't update that, I can scroll through and find people, put them back the hard way...
I've got all the paperwork, spent the credits, so it's just...work!
I might, when I go back to it, get a lot of them back through smart matches, since I've been confirming them as I went along.
Learning...the hard way!
Iain

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 February 19 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I use Family Historian as it's made in the UK and for which you can get a free downloadable trial before paying a one off payment of about £36 and is upgraded free; it has a very good active forum at FHUG where you can get answers to problems.
Personally I don't trust the online websites to build and look after my trees; I had a tree on Ancestry which was supposed to sync with my then FTM program but as in your case, Iain, it didn't and in fact I lost a lot of my tree as well as having incorrect info being left on the program, took me years to correct it!
Now I keep my tree on my FH program and upload a gedcom to Anc/MH every few months; the other alternative is to use tribalpages where you can upload your gedcom as well as put media/photos on it and keep them there. You can upload new gedcoms but won't lose the media already on that site; you can get a free version or pay to get rid of ads. You can also invite people to it and it has all sorts of reports you can use from it.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.