Author Topic: Consanguinity mentioned in marriage record  (Read 1035 times)

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Consanguinity mentioned in marriage record
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 June 19 00:59 BST (UK) »
Also, I do see what looks to be the same dispensation if you go one page up (earlier), it's in the upper left labeled #30. Maybe that's easier to read?
First word looks a bit like first word in Stack-Moloney marriage. Is the tall letter in the middle an elaborate t?  First letter of 2nd word looks like s. Wexflyer may be right about "salus" . The only word I'm sure about in both is "fuit" (was), which is no help at all in understanding the sense.
Cowban

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Consanguinity mentioned in marriage record
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 June 19 01:29 BST (UK) »
I agree with Wexflyer reply #18 about dispensations for 1st cousin marriages. They were only supposed to be granted for serious reasons.
See my replies #3, 4, 5, 7 and 9 and read the links. See also links in reply#14; both writers noted that priests didn't always get it right.

Correspondence between a priest and his bishop regarding a proposed 1st cousin marriage, from "Dispensation Request from Father Angus MacEachan 16th July 1817" on Don MacDonald's website, cited in my reply #15:
The priest "seeks bishop's permission to marry a couple who are 1st cousins, thus requiring a dispensation  of the 2nd degree of consanguinity".
A translation from French of extracts from the bishop's reply:
"All of Mr MacDonald's arguments fail against my lack of power to dispense in the degrees in question ..
The Holy See delegated to me this power for a limited number of cases. That number has been exceeded. .  Advise him to submit his request directly to Rome. It is the only way he will obtain the desired dispensation."
Cowban

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.