Author Topic: Welsh Newton Herefordshire: James and Harris families  (Read 902 times)

Offline paterfamilias

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welsh Newton Herefordshire: James and Harris families
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I am working on the James and Harris families of Welsh Newton, Herefordshire ca. 1700-1820. I know that Edward Harris (who was a Royal Marine from 1832-1840) was born there in 1810 to John Harris and Mary James. I believe that Mary is indeed a James from recent DNA tests and a marriage record in Pipe and Lyde in 1799. Other researchers have indicated that this Mary was born 1774, d. Of James James and Sarah Smith [can we possibly have more generic names?!]. John Harris was buried in 1820 in Welsh Newton according to a findmypast record. Can anybody shed any light on these James and Harris families? I have seen some interesting connections between the James of Welsh Newton and John James of Hentland and the family of David James, of Womaston, Radnorshire.

Many thanks for any help!
Dave

Online JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Newton Herefordshire: James and Harris families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 19 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paterfamillies -
best of luck in your search.
My DNA has Harris  from Herefordshire [Gloucestershire & Monmouthshire]. The names Cecil [various], Webb, Parry, Gilbert, Hyatt, Howells also appear.  The arears of  Vowchurch, Ganarew, Forest of Dean and Shirehampton also feature. If any of this looks promising i am happy to explore possible common ground.
cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline paterfamilias

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 19 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack!

Indeed this is just where 1/8 of my ancestry comes from. Forest of Dean area is certainly relevant. My “other” names in the vicinity are George (Llanishen, Mons and St Briavels), Hanbury (Mons), and all too many Jones, Lewis etc (nothing against these noble names, they are just untraceable for me in this region). Which towns of the area are your Harris from?

The Harris line of Welsh Newton securely begins with a John Harris, who died in 1820. He has three sons (John, Edward and William). These three were born in WN in the first decade of the 1800s, mother was Mary James. I descend from Edward who married an Ann Lewis. William married a Catherine Jayne and moved the US. I have dna matches with several of his descendants. I just found that Edward makes a (minor) appearance in the National Archives: he was a Royal Marine from 1832-1840 recruited by a Captain Gillespie.

Have you taken any of the autosomal tests? I match Harris and James (and one Hanbury) on Ancestry.

Frankly the greatest mystery of my tree is Hanbury of Monmouthshire. I have been plugging away at this for years with a number of interesting hints but never any proof!

Cheers, Dave

Online JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 19 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,
 are you still on the case as i missed this post.
Do you have your DNA tests mobile?
ie able to move copies to various groups?
If yes to all of above PM me and we will talk further.

Cheers
Jack.
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.