Author Topic: Paternal ancestors surname Orentas from Lithuania  (Read 80 times)

Offline OLD AGE PENSIONER

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paternal ancestors surname Orentas from Lithuania
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered my great grandfathers death certificate online, not sure when the family came to England but the 1911 Census says they hailed from "Russia".  I have been told that the name Orentas is Lithuanian, but my family seem to have changed their name to Williams.  My grandfather according to the Census says he and his 2 younger brothers were born in Manchester and are British by parentage.  Trouble is I cannot find a birth record for any of them in either surname.  Any ideas please?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Paternal ancestors surname Orentas from Lithuania
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 19 12:35 GMT (UK) »
@OAP, Russia would be correct, many Lanarkshire Lithuanians went back home to fight for the Tsar in the Great War.

Skoosh,

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 19 17:05 GMT (UK) »
welcome to Rootschat OAP
Try contacting this tree owner - Lithuania
does the name Jonas Orentas mean anything to you ?
also
Jedemias Orentas / Sandra Orentas / Victor Orentas ?? - all in one tree but doesn't give the country

https://gw.geneanet.org/krupauskas?n=orentas&oc=&p=jonas     Jonas Orentas record
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline OLD AGE PENSIONER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 19 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help, but unfortunately, none of those names are on my list.