Author Topic: Marriage records  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Nats185

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage records
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering what the volume and page number on the marriage index refer to? I'd like to find out more information on a marriage that I have found in a marriage index for 1925. What kind of marriage records are available to view - perhaps in Parish records? I'm hoping for information such as parents, DOB etc? I am happy to travel to archives holding Parish records etc.
I'd also like to know similar for the birth and death indexes.
Thanks in advance.
Bugden, Corri, Bussey, Skinner

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:19 GMT (UK) »
The volume and page number in the GRO index, searchable on sites like FreeBMD, are index details enabling you to order a certificate from the GRO: www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

They do not tell you where the marriage took place (church or otherwise) within the registration district - or not straightforwardly at least.  Some inferences can be drawn from the volume/page number combination and that is the basis of sites like www.marriage-locator.co.uk, though I don't think it has any entries as modern as 1925.

Depending on the county there may be other resources which can tell you where in the district the marriage took place, such as LancashireBMD.

You have asked a very general question - if you can give more details people may be better placed to advise you.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Just to add: these are the details you will find in a 1925 marriage certificate from England and Wales, regardless of whether or not it was a church marriage:

www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/marriages.htm

The parish record (for a church marriage) gives exactly the same categories of information and for the most part there is no advantage in viewing the parish register.  Rare exceptions to this rule are when there are relevant annotations in the parish record giving information not carried over to the civil registration, or where the ability to view the surrounding entries provides useful context for a marriage (as to e.g. frequent witnesses, or family members marrying on the same day).

1925 is rather recent in terms of current availability of online images, but again you'd have to be more specific on the facts of the marriage you are interested in for any of us to comment on whether/where you are likely to find a relevant parish register entry.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Nats185

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response. I have found that my Great Great Grandfather John Bugden remarried in the first quarter of 1925. His spouse was Minnie Poulter. I would like to find out more about her and when she died. I have found them in the 1939 Register living together as John Bugden and Minnie Bugden. Her DOB is listed in the register as 17th July 1862. I can't find a Minnie Poulter born anywhere near this time. I have found some possible Mary Poulters but can't be sure if this is the same person. I would like to find out if I can get any more information from their marriage record to narrow it down such as the bride's father's name perhaps or her place of birth. The marriage index information is: District Kingston Volume 2a page 619. I was hoping these might lead to more information such as church records?
Thanks again

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Well it turns out you are in luck!  You can view their marriage entry on Ancestry in their collection "Surrey, Church of England Marriages 1754-1937".

They married at St Peter, Norbiton on 4 February 1925.

Offline Nats185

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you this is really useful.

Just to add: these are the details you will find in a 1925 marriage certificate from England and Wales, regardless of whether or not it was a church marriage:

www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/marriages.htm

The parish record (for a church marriage) gives exactly the same categories of information and for the most part there is no advantage in viewing the parish register.  Rare exceptions to this rule are when there are relevant annotations in the parish record giving information not carried over to the civil registration, or where the ability to view the surrounding entries provides useful context for a marriage (as to e.g. frequent witnesses, or family members marrying on the same day).

1925 is rather recent in terms of current availability of online images, but again you'd have to be more specific on the facts of the marriage you are interested in for any of us to comment on whether/where you are likely to find a relevant parish register entry.

Offline Nats185

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I don't currently have a full ancestry subscription, (using myheritage at the moment). Is there anymore information in the entry, is there a photo of it? I think I need to get back on Ancestry!
Really appreciate your time thank you.

Well it turns out you are in luck!  You can view their marriage entry on Ancestry in their collection "Surrey, Church of England Marriages 1754-1937".

They married at St Peter, Norbiton on 4 February 1925.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:42 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though Minnie Poulter was born in Baldock, Herts (Hitchin district) in 1864 and was a nurse in Kensington by 1891.  She hadn't been married before the 1925 marriage.

Parents: John Poulter (a butcher) and Matilda nee Covington.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:45 GMT (UK) »
The marriage witnesses were Frederick and Clara Kennett.  This is likely to be their marriage:

Frederick Daniel Kennett
Clara Susannah Bugden

Sep qtr 1908 Thanet 2a 2131.