Author Topic: Marriage entries - COMPLETED with thanks!  (Read 402 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage entries - COMPLETED with thanks!
« on: Wednesday 06 February 19 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Possible stupid question, sorry  :-[

How many versions of a marriage entry contain original signatures for bride, groom and witnesses?

We were married over 50 years ago, in a Register Office, and the certificate, given to us that day, does NOT have our original signatures.

So, how many copies do have original signatures?  More interested in historical church marriages, rather than Register Office ones.

I am almost 100% certain the certificate given to my great grandfather, in 1876, contains original signatures for all parties.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage entries
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I was married in a church in 1973 and the copy given to me does not contain original signatures.
My niece who recently married in church has original signatures on every copy she had from the church.

Ignore me I have just checked and the 1973 certificate does have original signatures
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Interesting, isn't it? 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - You got me thinking so I checked and I was wrong the 1973 Church one does have original signatures,  the later registry office one does not
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
We were married over 50 years ago, in a Register Office, and the certificate, given to us that day, does NOT have our original signatures.

I am almost 100% certain the certificate given to my great grandfather, in 1876, contains original signatures for all parties.

I have the original copy of my great grandparents's C of E marriage certificate in 1873. It was in the Family Bible that I inherited. It has the original signatures.

I've just checked our certificate of same age as yours, also reg office, and the signatures have been typed in.

Is it a C of E v Reg office difference.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked the great grandparents' cert on FindMyPast and it is a very poor smudged version of the one I have.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh, so I'm not totally stupid  :-\ :-\  :-X

I'm just checking with my daughter, who married in 1999 at a non-clerical venue.

Is this discrimination?   :-* :-*  :-X
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 18:37 GMT (UK) »
This has been said many times - all certificates are copies, so you cannot have an 'original' copy certificate.  You might have the first one you were given, but it is no better or worse or different from any other copy.  They are all equally valid and should be identical in every respect.

Strictly speaking, signatures should appear only in the marriage register, and then the certificate is copied from the register entry.  Some priests/celebrants let people sign the certificate handed out at the marriage, some do not.  There's no discrimination, just a bit of bending the copying rules!

Melbell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 19:53 GMT (UK) »
This may be  somewhat semantic but

An original copy is possible. It is an original copy of the original.