Author Topic: Is it worth applying for service record?  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth applying for service record?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 February 19 11:31 GMT (UK) »
That is awful Lisa.  :(

If I were you I would be honest and list his wives and their whereabouts (maybe date of divorce if known) and for the current one - just write "unknown" "lost contact" or "estranged". Keep it short and sweet. Then it is their decision whether or not they let you have his service records.

Do you have a copy of his d/c?

Yes I do - contacted Cornwall reg office directly and they sent me a copy after payment.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 February 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I found them very helpful having added a short note with a recent application.  I was after my grandmothers brothers records and was clutching at straws that I had the right record as he was using a different name to the one his birth was registered in.  They emailed me to discuss the matter and then got me to phone them.

I agree with Ruskie, give them the facts.  I think I would be asking them if I could have his full records as he was my father
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 February 19 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Ruskie and rosie99.  I explained the position regarding my mum's first husband and that I had tried to find any nok.  They telephoned me to discuss the situation and I got a full record as far as I am aware; I already had birth, marriage and death certificates.

You are his daughter;  I was just a daughter from mum's second marriage.

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 February 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
If a simple reason why you are applying as NOK without the permission of the third wife is questioned and you need to further promote your case, I think the fact she did not inform you of his death, and you did not find out about it till later, indicates an unwillingness on her part to have any kind of communication with you. Depending on how much detail you wish to provide the MOD, perhaps mentioning it if questioned may strengthen your case, give them an understanding of your relationship and they may feel some sympathy for you.

Pop back and let us know if you decide to apply and if you manage to obtain the full records - it might help others in a similar situation.  :)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 February 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for your opinions, help and advice. I will take some time to consider and decide on my approach, and will let you know how how things go.

Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 February 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Best of luck Lisa. ;)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 February 19 22:05 GMT (UK) »
If a simple reason why you are applying as NOK without the permission of the third wife is questioned and you need to further promote your case, I think the fact she did not inform you of his death, and you did not find out about it till later, indicates an unwillingness on her part to have any kind of communication with you. Depending on how much detail you wish to provide the MOD, perhaps mentioning it if questioned may strengthen your case, give them an understanding of your relationship and they may feel some sympathy for you.

Pop back and let us know if you decide to apply and if you manage to obtain the full records - it might help others in a similar situation.  :)

I totally agree with you Ruskie!  Lisa, maybe sending a copy of your own birth certificate with your application would be helpful?? 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 February 19 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Funny you should suggest that jaybelnz. I was considering mentioning that when I applied on behalf of my OH for his father’s service records, I included a copy of OH’s b/c just to cover all bases.

Although it is not a requirement, I didn’t want to leave any doubt in their minds.

As this was several years ago (and I can’t recall the exact details) I remember including additional written supporting evidence as well.

Unnecessary I am sure, but I reasoned that it wouldn’t do any harm and might prevent any back-and -forth exchanges if anything was in doubt.  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 February 19 00:28 GMT (UK) »
it may be telling that none of us, self included, found out that my father had died until a few weeks after it had happened, and I only found out through one of my cousins.

Oh dear Lisa, how very sad for you all indeed & I hope with the help/info. from Ruskie & Rosie you're successful in your application, Good Luck!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"