Author Topic: Is it worth applying for service record?  (Read 1666 times)

Online Lisajb

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is it worth applying for service record?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I did find a number for the Royal Navy Disclosure cell so called to discuss.

In short, they say I am not the  next of kin, and if I can't get permission from his third wife all I can do is make an application for a general research interest.

Damn!
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Davies, Lewis, Humphreys, Williams, Jenkins

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 22:35 GMT (UK) »
That seems extremely unfair and unreasonable in my opinion.  >:(

It probably won't be the case with this organisation as "rules" may not be open to interpretation, but sometimes speaking to a different person may lead to a different reply, however I am not suggesting that you call them again.  :(

I would still continue with the application for the full record. Plead ignorance. The worst that can happen is they refuse and refund your money.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Member
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 March 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I applied for my fatherís (RAF) & my uncleís (REME, Army) records and then got an interpretation of those records undertaken by the respective military organisations. The REME historianís interpretation was particularly detailed & helpful, but because Iím writing a book about the soldierís life in WW2 it was worth the expense to me. I think you have to weigh up what you want to get out of it & what you can afford to pay
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)