Author Topic: Where is she?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is she?
« on: Thursday 07 February 19 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Brunning (nee Taylor) married Henry Brunning in 1831 in Suffolk and he died in 1832 in Rumburgh, Suffolk.  They had two children - George and Martha.  Elizabeth was born 1794 (although her 1861 death certificate says she was 85 which makes her a lot older!) and in the 1851 and 1861 census she gives her place of birth as South Elmham, Suffolk.  In the 1841 census her daughter (Martha Brunning, born 1831 Chediston, Suffolk) is living with Elizabeth's widowed mother in Halesworth, Suffolk.

I can't find Elizabeth Brunning in the 1841 census.  I have one in the Blything Union Workhouse but that isn't her and the list of 'possibles' show no-one else likely.  I suspect she is somewhere very poorly recorded/transcribed but no luck ……………. so far.

Any ideas?

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where is she?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 19 11:01 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 death certificate is wrong.  I have now found another possible in Marylebone in 1868 with the presumed age/year of birth just a couple of years out from her age quoted in the 1851 and 1861 census.  In the 1871 census Elizabeth's daughter, Martha, was living in Marylebone ……………..

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I see that in fact both George and Martha were with their grandmother in 1841.  Perhaps Elizabeth was out working/in service somewhere and omitted from the census for one reason or another?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 19 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Well, she has to be somewhere but is elusive!  I may take to going through the 1841 Halesworth pages one by one to see if I can spot her ………………...