Author Topic: Elizabeth and Mary Quartermain 1741  (Read 1497 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth and Mary Quartermain 1741
« on: Thursday 07 February 19 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I have established that Elizabeth was baptized at Garsington on 22 March 1741, d/o Francis.  The OFHS transcript of the Garsington parish records only have Elizabeth.

Some on-line trees also have a Mary d/o Francis baptized on the same day at Garsington but I can't find any evidence to support that.

Can anyone find out anything on Mary to support the on-line assertion.

Elizabeth did have a sister Mary baptized at Garsington on 03 December 1732 but I can't find any burial for her pre the 1741 baptism.

I have all of Elizabeth's siblings, her father's marriage to Mary Basson and his burial.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth and Mary Quartermain 1741
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 19 14:47 GMT (UK) »
The baptism image is on Ancestry March 1740/41 - Only Elizabeth is mentioned
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Rosie99.

I've been trying to find Elizabeth on Ancestry but it keeps coming up with no record found.

What search criteria did you use please?

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:55 GMT (UK) »
From OxFHS Garsington Transcripts.

Burial - Elizabeth Quartermain - 11 Aug 1740.
Burial - Mary Quartermain - 17 Sept. 1741.

No other info in the transcripts on the burial entry.

Steve.:)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I just searched Elizabeth Quatermain born 1740 Garsington, Oxfordshire from the main search page
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ndj/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
OxFHS - Garsington Transcripts.

The baptism for Elizabeth, dau of Francis, was squeezed in below another baptism(unrelated), and the beginning of May's entries  Maybe something, or nothing.  But to me that suggests a very late baptism. Why would that be.?

Baptism - 17 Nov 1745. Mary, dau. of James Quartermain.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 19 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie99, I'd been using the Births Deaths Marriages & parish records search page.

If the records appears in the general search page strange not also in the above.

Interesting entry bucksboy, could be many reasons, maybe author of the records started 1741 then 'found' Elizabeth's record.

At least no-one else has found a Mary baptised the same day, I suspect the person who told me about her in 2010 had got things mixed up, unfortunately, due to a vicious computer virus that evaded the supposedly best security program at the time, I lost a lot of my files including the backup ones as I was in the process of backing up some files to an external usb connected hard drive when the virus struck and it got into that drive as well!  I also lost the contact details for the author of the information.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 February 19 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie99, I'd been using the Births Deaths Marriages & parish records search page.

If the records appears in the general search page strange not also in the above.

Interesting entry bucksboy, could be many reasons, maybe author of the records started 1741 then 'found' Elizabeth's record.

At least no-one else has found a Mary baptised the same day, I suspect the person who told me about her in 2010 had got things mixed up, unfortunately, due to a vicious computer virus that evaded the supposedly best security program at the time, I lost a lot of my files including the backup ones as I was in the process of backing up some files to an external usb connected hard drive when the virus struck and it got into that drive as well!  I also lost the contact details for the author of the information.

So the burial on 11 Aug 1740, for Elizabeth Quartermain, does not gve you concern artifis.

The late entry may possibly be, that Elizabeth was not expected to survive.  Just my thoughts.!

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 February 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve.

Elizabeth's baptism was squeezed into the end of the 1740 year but as it was 22 March that would make it in 1741 in our present calendar system.  The burial for an Elizabeth on 17 August 1740 would have been before 'my' Elizabeth was born.  Looking at the transcripts and original parish records I also noted that children were indicated by 'daughter xxxx'  or 'son xxxx' and as Elizabeth's entry didn't have either I thought she was an older lady not a baby/infant.

Mary buried on 17 September 1741 was similarly not indicated as a daughter of someone.  Ancestry shows someone's tree indicating that Mary was born 1721 the daughter of a James Quartermain who appears to be the uncle of 'my' Elizabeth and was therefore 'my' Elizabeth's cousin.

The Quartermains are a tricky family to research as they dodged about somewhat.