Author Topic: Marriage registered twice?  (Read 330 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
Marriage registered twice?
« on: Thursday 07 February 19 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Under what circumstances would a marriage be registered twice, in two different districts in NSW?

Francis J Borserio and Martha Bruce Banks were married in 1923. There are two references in the index: one in Sydney on 23 January, and another in Auburn on 1 September.

They were divorced in 1936, and the report in the Sydney Morning Herald gives the date and place of the marriage as 1 September 1923 in Auburn.

So why the record in the NWS BDM index for 23 January in Sydney?
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage registered twice?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 19 20:40 GMT (UK) »
The clergy/officiating registrar lodged the registering  paperwork,  so there may have been a significant flaw or impediment that needed to be overcome.  Possibly there will be a copy of both of  the mcs in the divorce file ... otherwise you may need to access the Jan one to look for margin note or endorsement from the Reg Gen or the Supreme Court.

JM ...
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 19 21:42 GMT (UK) »
The clergy/officiating registrar lodged the registering  paperwork,  so there may have been a significant flaw or impediment that needed to be overcome.  Possibly there will be a copy of both of  the mcs in the divorce file ... otherwise you may need to access the Jan one to look for margin note or endorsement from the Reg Gen or the Supreme Court.

JM ...

Thanks, JM.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 February 19 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the divorce papers Forfarian ? https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/1153552

If not, I am happy to photograph them next time I am there.

Just out of interest I see Francis was named as co-respondent in another divorce
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/1169522

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 February 19 23:13 GMT (UK) »
The January 1923 marriage is indexed at NSW BDM online as reference 248/1923.   

As an aside, I mention:

If you check that reference number/year at NSW BDM online you will find there are two entries at the index for that SAME number.  The info found there under those two separate entries is extremely unusual as the reference number/year is meant to be unique for each registration and usually refers to the one event.     

The names (surnames and given names) are completely different, but the registration district is the same.    There are other unusual entries happening in the Sydney district for that year's quarter .... For example 247/1923 has three entries, two are obviously duplicating with minor spelling for a surname, but there's also the third entry ... with all names different....

So there has been some kind of confuddlement showing up in the index.   It may be flawed index entries, or it may be admin clerical errors back in 1923, or it may be any number of other reasons, including: the person/s conducting the marriages was not actually authorised/licenced or the 1970s EDP system got itself confused (one of my living relatives was involved in that change-over at that time ... very interesting admin stories are available, names changed to protect the 'guilty') ....

If m.c. 248/1923 is NOT found in the divorce papers, I am happy to order an official transcription of 'both' the registrations under that number just to observe the admin details...  :D

NB When at NSW BDM online indexes search option for Births or Deaths or Marriages there's the 'Search by number only' option.  Excellent option once you know the reference number to look for alternative entries for that ONE reference.   See attached snip.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 

Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.

Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 February 19 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the divorce papers Forfarian ? https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/1153552
If not, I am happy to photograph them next time I am there.
No, I don't. I'd be very grateful for images of them as it doesn't look as if I can see them online.

Just out of interest I see Francis was named as co-respondent in another divorce
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/1169522
Interesting!

Thank you for all this.

And thank you, JM for investigating the registration mystery.
Researching