Author Topic: What will happen to my Treasures?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
What will happen to my Treasures?
« on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I worry what will happen to  all my research files, pictures and memorabilia when I am gone.  My sons and partners are not remotely interested. I have many antiques of value and other sentimental of little value.  The items in the pictures fall into the later category.  My father was in India during WW2 and sent them home to his mother. He told us he bought them off a little Indian man who was sitting outside the Taj Mahal embroidering them by hand.  On her passing they went to my mother, both ladies used them.  They are now in my keeping and I love them dearly. 

Should I try and sell all the stuff, these included, rather than worry they will later be thrown away?  Its a tough call. 
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: What will happen to my Treasures?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Are they in regular use or on permanent display?  If they are - then keep enjoying them until your demise.  Like all possessions they are a matter of personal taste and even if bequeathed in a will you have no guarantee or control over what the recipient does with them

If they are stuffed in a drawer or cupboard - get rid now while you are still able to control what happens to them
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I am having the same dilemma.  My research will be donated, somewhere, I don't know where, and the antiques I am having valued with a view to selling, as no one wants them.  the statue I am very fond of will stay, it's on display.  The other stuff is in a box. I may as well sell it all and enjoy the money.  Some of it's probably not worth much though, it's more sentimental.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:36 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean. I have hundreds, if not thousands, of photographs and docs. I am 75 so not long for this world. I don't have children and wider family are just not interested, even if they are relevant to what I have. What I have done is post photo's and docs. on relevant websites which hopefully will exist long term. Beyond that, I am nearly ready to submit family tree to Society of Genealogists and other related bodies.

I have sent stuff to my fathers old school, and they were pleased to receive it. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I would find it hard to get rid of whilst I could still enjoy them.   Is there anyone in the wider family circle who would be interested in keeping them. 
Or as suggested a local society or museum may be glad to have them. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 February 19 15:45 GMT (UK) »
I agree with all of this. My daughter and youngest grand-daughter are interested in the Family History so I`m hoping they will preserve it between, I like to think it will be passed down the generations to come. As Carole said there`s no guaranteeing this but I can hope !

My mother`s wedding dress from 1941 is with my grand-daughter, the only one it will fit - extremely small. I think she is going to wear it for her own wedding one day !

I`ve a silk table cloth from Egypt bought by my grandfather in WW1, there was also a telegram from when he was at the Somme but I think my father threw it out when my mother died, although I do have the telegram to my father in Indai in1945 announcing my birth !!

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 19 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Will reply to you all collectively, we are all in the same boat.   The tablecloth is hanging above my bed, the bag is in a drawer.  I have just moved after hubby's death bought a house with youngest son and family.  All my antique type glass and other family stuff is all in the dresser or in the loft.  I have a few bits in my room but it is not to son and DIL's taste in either of our lounges. Plus there is a 3 year old in the equation.  I had most of it out in the old house. 

I don't think there is anyone who would love them like I do.  There is a slim chance eldest son would, as he appreciates nice things more than his  younger brother. I think, hope he will have the family docs and all the pics especially of Dad as Mayor etc.

I will probably think of having them valued, that's a good idea. I have told youngest much of what he considers junk  has monetary value, I have an old book worth £300 that made him sit up. But he would sell stuff rather than treasure it.

I did think of donating them - but not where.

Isnt it a shame :'(?  I occasionally get stuff out and look at it especially the really old documents.

At the end of the day when I am gone I wont know what happens to my stuff - or will I, lol ;) 
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 February 19 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought, and I certainly don't want to appear as rude.

As you are so proud of your father being Mayor of Arundel - might the Council be interested?  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 February 19 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Is there any family history societies or museums nearby that might want it.  You could maybe do your own exhibition and invite your family and then they might become interested.  I made up folders wth family trees and scanned in photos and sent to my family in Canada and elsewhere so that there some record of work I had done.
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)