Author Topic: What will happen to my Treasures?  (Read 350 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: What will happen to my Treasures?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 February 19 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought, and I certainly don't want to appear as rude.

As you are so proud of your father being Mayor of Arundel - might the Council be interested?  :-\

They already have many photos similar to mine plus 2 portraits on the wall.

Is there any family history societies or museums nearby that might want it.  You could maybe do your own exhibition and invite your family and then they might become interested.  I made up folders wth family trees and scanned in photos and sent to my family in Canada and elsewhere so that there some record of work I had done.

Good idea. Arundel museum does in fact have some of our original docs and copies of others, however I am not liking that they are not displayed and they are gathering dust god knows where, even they donít know where they are.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 February 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear it is a heartache !
When I moved I gave to each child their things,first shoes,baby teeth,( actually some were a puppyís,my daughter was losing hers as the puppy lost his so they too went to the tooth fairy).
School books,cards they had made us at school,cards we had sent them( I had saved them all) their baby clothes,Oh so much.I donít think they were thankful! ::)
I really canít throw away so many things that have memories.
I did burn love letters,could not bear to think someone else would read them. But of course I now wish I could read them again.
All I can tell myself is I have enjoyed having them and so after me if the nearest family are not interested well what can I do?
 I had visions of them crying over my things but I really doubt it, and I would not want them to be sad(have I mentioned that I tell lies sometimes?)
As Scarlett OíHara said in Gone with the Wind, ď Tomorrow is another dayĒ.
Viktoria.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 February 19 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Victoria, that is a great idea giving the children all their personal keepsakes. I will certainly do that, maybe in years to come they will look back at the memories with fondness. I will get on it tomorrow.

I think I would find it hard to throw /give away or sell things, like you I love my memories remembered or tangible and love having them near me. To me it would be like loosing a best friend. Let nature take its course who knows maybe they will be grateful for them, even get an interest in family history.Maybe the grandchildren will.  I know many people discover this hobby after a relative has died. I didnít start seriously until I was in my late 50ís after dad died.

Que sera, sera- what will be will be, as Doris Day would say ;)
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820