Author Topic: R.Albert Asylum Query  (Read 398 times)

Offline Smiley2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: R.Albert Asylum Query
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 February 19 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Argh!

I'm getting extremely confused and I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time if I have read the bible words incorrectly.

The bible I have says (3 x Mary Angel)

Mary Angel (My Great Grandmother) born Kensington 1812 and died Spital 1848

After she had died - (Mary Angel) Step Great Grandmother born Wrasbury 1804 and died Slough 1884

The daughter of the above (Also called Mary Angel) - Born 1843 and died Sevenoaks Dec 26th 1880 (Aged 37) These are the dates I entered and they came up with the asylum record.

Perhaps something is incorrect and I'm barking up the wrong tree somewhere!  ;D

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 February 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »

The daughter of the above (Also called Mary Angel) - Born 1843 and died Sevenoaks Dec 26th 1880 (Aged 37) These are the dates I entered and they came up with the asylum record.

Perhaps something is incorrect and I'm barking up the wrong tree somewhere!  ;D

It looks to me like Ancestry have linked it to the wrong person.  There are numerous posts on rootschat about Ancestrys hints, basically don't believe them unless you can prove they are right.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Smiley2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 February 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh well…. on the positive side I have learnt about asylums in the late 1800's! Ha Ha!  :-[

Thank for everyone's help anyway!  :)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 February 19 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I can see 3 birth registrations in 1843 for Mary Angel:

March quarter - Plymouth - mmn = Andrews
June quarter - Chippenham - mmn = Johnson
December quarter - Windsor - mmn = Andrews Brown

Possible/probable marriage:  March quarter 1868 - Kensington - Mary Angel and Matthew Emerson appear on the same page.

Amended - sorry I got the surname wrong  :'(
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 February 19 13:23 GMT (UK) »
25 January 1868 - St Clement, Notting Hill

Matthew Emerson (note spelling  and that is how he signed) - 25, bachelor, Carpenter.  Father:  Michael, Builder
Mary Angel - 24, spinster.  Father:  Thomas, In Service

Does that sound right?
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Smiley2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 February 19 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes 'my' Mary Angel had a Father called Thomas (My 2nd Great Grandfather)

The last birth registration that you found is most possibly the one - Mary Angel was born in 1843 but in the bible it says (I think!) born October 19th 1843 and in Spital Berkshire (So that matches the Windsor part too)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 February 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate you might now have ruled out the Mary Emmerson in Lancaster, but I noticed a couple of things about the Royal Albert Asylum connection which may be worth mentioning:

The R.Albert in Lancaster was the only one for North England that was completely free and as they were very poor, maybe she got shipped off there due to no room anywhere else!

The register that's at Ancestry records whether patients were Private or Pauper (the columns to the right of the name, each divided into male and female). Mary A Emmerson is listed as Private, which may not tally with them bring very poor - unless they had obtained some kind of charitable funding, perhaps.

Ermmm!  The Lunacy records show Mary's admission as Mary A Emmerson, and a death 16 June 1880. 

There is a death registration - Houghton (Co Durham) - June quarter 1880 for Mary Ann Emmerson aged 14.  :-\

According to Wikipedia, the Royal Albert in Lancaster was founded as an institution for children aged 6-15 from 7 northern counties, though it did admit adults after 1913. So it seems rather unlikely that an adult from the other end of the country would be a patient there in 1878-80.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Smiley2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 February 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much! I think it's now proven that the connection with the asylum isn't the right one. Interesting educational stuff however!  ;D

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 February 19 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Oops, sorry - I've just amended my post related to mother's maiden names - the Windsor registration should have the surname as BROWN 
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY