Author Topic: 1939 scribbles  (Read 290 times)

Offline Xinia :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • STATIC AVATAR
    • View Profile
1939 scribbles
« on: Thursday 07 February 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Who is wonderfully clever enough to decipher the scribbles on the 1939

it is regarding my post on canada page.

xin

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 scribbles
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 19 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Anything on the right hand side of the 1939 register will relate to the NHS.  The writing in red appears to be a reference number with what looks like a date above it, 8th June 1951.  You can see part of a date on the one next to it, i.e. 20th December.

The writing in black appears to say Remains: Leicester City.

It is unlikely that we shall ever be privy to the meaning of all the NHS reference numbers.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:32 GMT (UK) »
. . .
It is unlikely that we shall ever be privy to the meaning of all the NHS reference numbers.

This may not be a NHS amendment.
National Registration did not cease until 1952. If one moved or changed one's name one was supposed to inform the authorities. My ID card issued the day after I was born contains a change of address duly stamped and initialled.

The clue may be in the initial letters of the first brackets entry, the second brackets appear to refer to a form which was later used by the NHS to make changes to either name or DOB (I can't remember the ref nos.) Most changes by NHS I  have seen are in either green or blue ink.
I have seen posts both here and on another forum that hint that changes made by the National Registration people were done in red ink.

Pity we can't see the second year. I wonder if it was 50 and it had taken nearly six months for the form/info to reach the NR offices.   ::) 8)
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Xinia :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • STATIC AVATAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 19 13:01 GMT (UK) »
well that is all very interesting thank you..

I think he dies somewhere along the line... and this is the ref for some reason.  but no death found YET

xin