Author Topic: Stack/Molony family locations in Ballybunion/Listowel  (Read 6159 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stack/Molony family locations in Ballybunion
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 04:28 GMT (UK) »

Also, I have not actually gotten the records for the births listed above. Would they have any additional information not found on the indexes on irishgenealogy.ie?

If you have the chance to check originals then it is good genealogical practice to do so.  It is preferred by many. 

As has been said transcribers put what they see.....and this may not be what is there or what others may see.....for instance in the reference to a Philip Stack the transcriber has put a 'u' in Molouny but if you follow the flow there is no room for  a "u" and it probably should have been transcribed Molony. 

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 19:09 GMT (UK) »
The lady you spoke to is local so I'd expect knows what she is talking about but I can't help feeling it was a townland name that fell out of use over time but was kept alive at that farm/house.
I had a case of this with one of my famlies, took ages to figure out where Strillstown in Westmeath was, it isn't on any map or list and my family were the only ones using it. It was only from local knowledge of where the family lived (they had a mill, which helped) that I was able to pinpoint it but the name had been forgotten since the family moved on.

You are right, it is a former townland. I am trying to find out more about it, but it is slow going. This the only written mention I can find of the name, from 1930 there was a dog (I think) named Dirrenavack Cross owned by a Mr. Stack. So this name means something in the family, anyway.

I also found that Catherine Stack, my great great grandmother's sister listed above gave her residence as "Dirreen" on her marriage record.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Mention of dogs reminds me that 2 sources I used to fill in gaps in late 19th century Ireland were Irish dog licence register on Find My Past and Petty Sessions records. Petty Sessions dealt with minor infringements of laws such as not having a dog licence and allowing a dog out in public without a muzzle. One ancestor was fined for both crimes.
Cowban