Author Topic: Trying to trace the history of my Great Uncle (Charles William Olsen) Hull  (Read 2704 times)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to trace the history of my Great Uncle (Charles William Olsen) Hull
« on: Thursday 07 February 19 23:03 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to discover what happened to my Uncle (Charles William Olsen) born in Sculcoates in 1910. His mother, my paternal Grandma was Mary Jane Olsen (formerly Thackray), born in Dublin in Ireland in 1891 and his father was also called Charles William Olsen, born around 1887. They both appear to have been from Hull families. All three appear on the 1911 census. At that time they resided at 6 1/2 Walker Square, Sykes Street. Charles was 10/12 months. Some time after that, it seems that they separated (Between 1911-1915) My father John Joseph Sissons was born in 1915 at 8 Warneford Terrace, Hull but I cannot find the whereabouts of Mary Jane's older son, Charles William Olsen who when John Joseph was born, would have been five. Any suggestions as to where we could look would be most welcome as we have exhausted all the avenues we are familiar with i.e. 1911 Census and Electoral Registers that are available to us. We have been to Carnegie, Hull History Centre and the Library but as yet, cannot place him at that time at all. We have found a Charles William Olsen born 1910, who died at seventy in 1980 but we are completely unable to verify that we have the correct Charles William Olsen. Many thanks for any advice anyone is able to give. linney2019

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace the history of my Great Uncle (Charles William Olsen) Hull
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 February 19 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Related thread here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807951.msg6672000#msg6672000

Have you seen that a Charles William Olsen and a Sarah Elizabeth had a son Charles baptised at Christ Church, Hull in 1914?  I wonder whether this was the Charles who was lawfully married to Mary?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 19 23:21 GMT (UK) »
The obvious course for young Charles William would be to obtain his birth certificate or the pdf equivalent (before the price rises later this month) and see whether his birthdate matches that on the 1980 death, namely 18 May 1910.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 19 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello avm228, Thank you so much for the replies you have sent to both my questions. I cannot believe what you have found. Forgive me, I am new to this site and trying to work out how to answer you very kind people who have taken the time to find this for me. I will try to answer the other one too, but still trying to work out where to answer as still reading them.

Many, many thanks,
linney2019

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 February 19 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Don’t worry, you’re doing just fine :)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 February 19 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi avm22 again,
Reckon you will be in bed now, but hopefully you will see this tomorrow:
The Charles Wm. that you are talking about is probably the one born in 1913. This baffled us because we think that Charles William Olsen had two sons - the first one Charles William born 1910
to Mary Jane Olsen and the second Charles William (again) 1913 to Stephenson/Mace.
We cannot find the elder one who is definitely my Dad's half brother. Wondering what happened to him when Charles Wm. and Mary Jane separated. He had to have gone with Mary Jane or stayed with his father................Would have been three years old when the second Charles Wm. was born.
Thanks again, linney2019

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 February 19 07:15 GMT (UK) »
The 1913 Charles Olsen with mothers maiden name Mace was registered only as Charles not Charles William.

Did he go and live with his grandparents some men wouldn't want anothers child to support.

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi amondg,
Thank you for replying. My daughter and I have thought about that and it's certainly a possibility. I would like to think that Charles Olsen (Birth 1910) left with his mother, but of course we don't know this or if stayed with his father but his name doesn't seem to crop up with his father, Charles William Olsen (Born 1887) who of course, went on to live with and eventually marry Stevenson/Mace. We cannot find any documentation on him as a child. To complicate matters, his father, Charles Olsen Snr. and E. Mace gave their son the same name - Charles Olsen Born 1913! My father certainly was not in touch, nor did he mention his half-brother, Charles, whereas he was definitely in touch with his brother, James William Sissons. I think he must have known about him - but then Dad never ever uttered a word about his childhood or family at all - ever, so I always knew it was an unhappy one. Thanks again amondg, for your help, linney2019

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned earlier, the 1910 birth certificate would tell you the exact birthdate so you could rule the 1980 death in or out.  If it's him, the death certificate in turn might help fill in the gaps (especially if a wife or child was the informant of his death).