Author Topic: Trying to trace the history of my Great Uncle (Charles William Olsen) Hull  (Read 2700 times)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace the history of my Great Uncle (Charles William Olsen) Hull
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 February 19 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Good evening avm228, Treetotal, ScOOp,
My daughter and I have just come in from a family party to celebrate my nephew going to Australia and we thought we would catch up. We are overwhelmed at the help you have all given us - and sincerely hope that we can help other users! We will of course, try once we get used to the site!
The gravestone in the Northern Cemetary is actually saved in our files, but again, we dare not include it as we couldn't read the inscription and could not validate it. We had the date of death for Charles Wm Olsen (B.1910) as 1980 but were not sure this was the right Charles Olsen, so you have clarified it for us and again, many thanks. We are trying to find out if he married and had a family and we now have a little more to go on - at least we know who we are looking for.
Again, thank you, linney2019

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 February 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I just thought that you would like to know that I am a volunteer at The Carnegie Heritage Centre in Hull so I may have seen you  when you visited  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 February 19 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Treetotal,
Yes - We both remember you - I definitely do as you showed me this site and told me you were a volunteer. We were bowled over with Carnegie and all the help from the volunteers. Really kind people. Anyway I think you have probably realised who we are too! We are hoping to visit again on Tuesday. One of the things we are hoping to do is perhaps see if we can find the actual whereabouts of Mary Jane Olsen and her son, Charles Olsen who was born 1910 - after the Census of 1911. Just cannot find them at all. Mary Jane Olsen of course, died 1923 but as for her eldest son, (dad's half brother) - well, we have looked all over and he has disappeared - until his death which we think is in Durham 1980. Sorry, I am telling lies - we have now also found his Baptism - 1st June 1910 St. Philips, Hull. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we should have looked and haven't???
linney2019

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 February 19 00:03 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned before, you could get the 1980 death certificate in case the informant was his wife, son or daughter?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 February 19 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi avm228,
Yes, we are going to do that first thing on Monday as it seems that there is simply no other way of finding him. You would think though wouldn't you that he would appear on one of the Registers, Marriages, even the 1939 Register! But no - nothing, as I say until he passes away. His half brother, (again Charles Olsen) has been traceable and does appear! Strange.

Again, thanks for replying avm228,
linney2019

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 February 19 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Treetotal,
Yes - We both remember you - I definitely do as you showed me this site and told me you were a volunteer. We were bowled over with Carnegie and all the help from the volunteers. Really kind people. Anyway I think you have probably realised who we are too! We are hoping to visit again on Tuesday. One of the things we are hoping to do is perhaps see if we can find the actual whereabouts of Mary Jane Olsen and her son, Charles Olsen who was born 1910 - after the Census of 1911. Just cannot find them at all. Mary Jane Olsen of course, died 1923 but as for her eldest son, (dad's half brother) - well, we have looked all over and he has disappeared - until his death which we think is in Durham 1980. Sorry, I am telling lies - we have now also found his Baptism - 1st June 1910 St. Philips, Hull. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we should have looked and haven't???
linney2019

Hi Linney, I thought it was you but wasn't sure. It doesn't help your search but I found the probate for Charles senior but you may already have it.

Olsen, Charles William of 40, Victoria Avenue Kingston upon Hull died 23rd June, 1953 at De La Pole Hospital, Willerby. Administration London 8th April to Henry William Olsen, Company Director. Effects: £3,738 5s 10d

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 February 19 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol for looking,
This is so complicated and is the wrong Charles Olsen - I will explain:
1 Charles Wm. Olsen B. 1887 Married Mary Jane Thackray 1910
2 Charles Wm. Olsen B. 1910 Their eldest son (Charles and Mary Jane separated at some point)

Charles Wm. Olsen B. 1887 living with Sarah Elizabeth Mace (Stephenson ) then has a second son and calls him Charles Olsen  also so this is:
3 Charles Olsen B. 1913
This is the one that you have written to me about (1913) It's driving us mad - It is the one that was born in 1910 that we cannot trace, other than he died in 1980. We really don't know what to do and have spent ages trying to sort this out and your efforts are very much appreciated.
linney2019

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 10 February 19 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Actually I think the 1953 death and probate are for a fourth Charles, probably unrelated to the other three.

He was 69 at death in 1953, so born about 1884.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline linney2019

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 10 February 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
It gets more and more complicated - I don't know who is to blame for calling them all Charles Olsen, but it's caused a major headache! Prior to Charles William Number 2 as we knew him (the one that Mary Jane Thackray, my Grandmother was married to in 1910) we also found that his father was called Charles William Olsen - in our "shoe box" as Charles Wm. No. 1 - then of course, there was Charles Wm. No. 3 born 1910, and No. 4, born 1913. I reckon there must be loads more........ and all probably in Hull.
Anyway, the one you are talking about has really thrown a spanner in to the works as the age does not match up to the one that was born in Hull (No. 4) so where does that leave us.................
Anything else you can think of would be brilliant,
Thanks Carol,   linney2019