Author Topic: the John McArthur family in Lanarkshire  (Read 371 times)

Offline Bertsbees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: the John McArthur family in Lanarkshire
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Thx for your info, I found the info on Carlton very interesting...In free cen census records,when you hit the “next household” button you can see that the entire street housed families in the cotton industry.  Even children thirteen or fourteen were listed as working in the cotton mills...Lots of people at one address...read in an other article that the children worked for cheap wages and were quick and nimble for work on the looms, etc.  They also helped to support their household.
     Bert

McKay, McArthur,Woodworth,Brown,Irving,Campbell

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Forfarian (I have ranted!).

Thank you also for the link to the old site. The new site keeps the feature of letting you view previous/next households but there seems to be a cut off on this (maybe the folio number only that you have been looking at?) On the old site, you are able to search further than this continuing back and further for ever (I exagerate for sure!).

Now that we have the information that the George Street the MacArthurs were living at in 1841 was in Calton (as we saw for the PO Directory, there are a number of George Streets including the one in Calton, referred as being the Mile-end area of Calton. It is therefore not the long George Street running east from George Square.

Using the previous/next feature on the old site until I got to surrounding addresses, I can see:

Park Lane
Broad Street
George Street
North Brook Street

I think this George Street has changed name as is now known as Rogart Street www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged2.html  Couldn't find Park Lane, but Broad St, Brook St and Rogart Street are still there today. Nothing to be seen of the old as it is now a business industrial park.

Map of the late 1800s here. This map lets you compare old and now https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=55.8520&lon=-4.2226&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 'Girl with firewood'
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bertsbees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 February 19 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Monica, thanks again for all your advice in my search for the MacArthurs neighborhood.  I was assuming that they lived on the long stretch of George St that starts at George Square.....but your "trick" of advancing to the next street address , pinpoints the neighborhood much closer than I would ever have figured out.
     Some day I would love to visit Scotland and walk in the steps of my relatives.  The Mile end rock marker will definitely be on my "to-do" list   Cheers...Bert
McKay, McArthur,Woodworth,Brown,Irving,Campbell