Author Topic: With a name like Primrose why isn't this straightforward...?!  (Read 919 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
With a name like Primrose why isn't this straightforward...?!
« on: Friday 08 February 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

My Nan was Primrose Owens born 19 April 1923. I know she was often known as Rose/Rosie and that she dropped the 's' on Owens when she felt like it (!) However, I can't find her anywhere on the 1939 Census. She passed away Feb 2016.

I believe she was living with her sister (Annie Pooley) in Birmingham when war broke out and she was sent 'home' to Liverpool. I think her Mother (Alice Riley) was in Gregson Street Liverpool at the time. But I also know she hated home and spent time working in hotels in the centre of Liverpool and North Wales as well as doing war work out in the ROF Factory in Kirkby (I believe) But the dates sort of merge together as family tales do!

Anyone have any ideas why I can't find her?!

Thank you
M

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: With a name like Primrose why isn't this straightforward...?!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Her entry will still be redacted with those dates.
Born less than 100 yrs ago and died well after the NHS stopped using the Register. They computerised in 1991.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you considered this marriage:

Primrose Owens and Arthur Riley, Q3, 1965, Liverpool North

and this death:

Primrose Riley, 13 Feb 2016, Liverpool, aged 92 (i.e. b.c. 1923-4)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget - yep that's her!

If her details are redacted - is there anything I can do to release them?

M

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:51 GMT (UK) »
I enquired about this on FindMyPast for my sister - you have to get her death cert and send it to them.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I enquired about this on FindMyPast for my sister - you have to get her death cert and send it to them.

Gadget

One has to be a FindMyPast subscriber to do that.
Ancestry only update annually with info from TNA. There is no subscriber update facility.
One can apply to TNA to open a record but there is a charge of almost £25.00 (assuming it's not going to increase next week along with the BMD certificate charges)
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 February 19 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I note that there is a redacted record with her sister, so you would use  that address on the form if you know it's her.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 February 19 10:14 GMT (UK) »
This from The National Archives info:

10. How can I open a record of an individual I know to be deceased?

Findmypast.co.uk subscribers can request a check of the closed records free of charge and if successful, the record will be made available via the online service. Please note in order to access this service you will be required to provide proof of death, mostly commonly by providing a death certificate.

Non-Findmypast.co.uk subscribers should use The National Archives Freedom of Information (FOI) request form to request a search of closed records from the 1939 Register. If the record can be opened, we will send you a full transcription of the information held in the record. The opened record will be available to view on Findmypast.co.uk ten working days after the notification of a successful request. Please note there is a fixed charge of £24.35 for this service.

The transcription is likely to include the following details: schedule number, sub-schedule number, name, address, date of birth, gender, marital status and occupation.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/#10-how-can-i-open-a-record-of-an-individual-i-know-to-be-deceased

Gadget

Add - Freedom of info details:  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/PaidSearch/FOI1939Register