Author Topic: James Donaldson Jacobite servant to the Hay's of Rannes  (Read 2138 times)

Offline ShaunWADonaldson93

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Donaldson Jacobite servant to the Hay's of Rannes
« on: Friday 08 February 19 21:07 GMT (UK) »
James Donaldson from Rathven servant to Hay of Rannes is my 6 times great grand father. I have found him listed in the prison records James Donaldson from Rathven servant of Andrew Hay of Rannes in Pitsligo's horse. His Prison career is listed as 'Thane of Fife,''James & Mary' Medway and Tilbury with ultimate disposal as Transported.

Also testimony in the trials describing him:

Andrew Sprule testimony - The prisoner was a volunteer in the same regiment, and marched with it into and out of England. I saw him almost every day upon the march or in quarters. He was armed with a broadsword, and a pair of pistols before him. He marched with said regiment out of Manchester towards Derby, and I saw him afterwards with it at Elgin, in the shire of Murray, when it was broke.

Adam Hay testimony - I saw prisoner with the rebels at Edinburgh. He was then in Lord Pitsligo’s regiment, in highland dress, a white cockade in his hat, and armed with a broadsword. Saw him upon the march with the rebels into England, particularly at Derby and Carlisle, and back again almost every day. Saw him afterwards with the said regiment at Glasgow, Falkirk and Stirling, dressed and armed as aforesaid; afterwards with the rebels at Aberdeen, Fochabers and Elgin.

His wife was Janet Wilson they married on the 20th of Oct 1716.

But I have not been able to find where he was transported to or what happened to him?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Donaldson Jacobite servant to the Hay's of Rannes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 19 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun

I am likely misreading the text, but the testimony that you have added above, are these not statements made by James Donaldson and others against Andrew Sprule and Adam Hay ?

Historical papers relating to the Jacobite period, 1699-1750
https://deriv.nls.uk/dcn23/7958/79581495.23.pdf
See bottom of pg 406 to 408.

Also, easier access:
www.jacobites.net/hay-trial.html
www.jacobites.net/sprule-trial.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 19 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun

I am likely misreading the text, but the testimony that you have added above, are these not statements made by James Donaldson and others against Andrew Sprule and Adam Hay ?

Historical papers relating to the Jacobite period, 1699-1750
https://deriv.nls.uk/dcn23/7958/79581495.23.pdf
See bottom of pg 406 to 408.

Also, easier access:
www.jacobites.net/hay-trial.html
www.jacobites.net/sprule-trial.html

Monica

Yes you are correct I have miss read my notes, these are statements given by James not about him.

I will have a read of the papers in the link.

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun,
James Donaldson is also my husband's 6 times great-grandfather. I am currently researching his family tree and wondered if you had any further information on James or his wife Janet Wilson? I have read the documents in the links - did you find out if he really was transported?
Many thanks
Nancy

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun,
Just looked up the Prisoners of '45 and James Donaldson is 25 years old when transported so he won't be the person we are looking for.
Nancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun,
Just looked up the Prisoners of '45 and James Donaldson is 25 years old when transported so he won't be the person we are looking for.
Nancy

There were two James Donaldson captured in 45 which can explain that. I have also sent you a PM.