Author Topic: Military Medal awarded in 1917  (Read 443 times)

Offline GrumpyGymJunkie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Military Medal awarded in 1917
« on: Friday 08 February 19 21:14 GMT (UK) »
May I seek advice please about how I find military details about my relative Cpl.15769 Alexander Bower, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire) Regiment who was awarded the Military Medal in 1917.

He was born in Jan 1892 and died in 1974 in Northumberland
Thank you

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Military Medal awarded in 1917
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 February 19 22:35 GMT (UK) »
His service record and medal records are on both Ancestry and Findmypast as well as (on FindMyPast) two entries in the small sample of medical records retained after the war.  His service throughout was with 9th Battalion,  Their war diaries are at the National Archives, two of them are here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=9%20yorkshire%20regiment&_nq1=West&_nq2=11&_nq3=63&_cr=WO%2095&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1900&_st=adv

The Italy portion of their war Nov 1917 to Sep 1918 is not covered by a diary but as his MM was awarded in August 1917, the action to which it refers would have been about two months earlier so covered in one of the two diaries above.

There will be no citation to be found for his MM.  Diaries may have mention.  Local newspapers are worth searchinng out, they often carried reports of such awards.

Suggestion is that you access Findmypast which has a greater amount of records for him than Ancestry, either at a library or take out a trial sub if they are offering one.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline GrumpyGymJunkie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Military Medal awarded in 1917
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 19 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MaxD.
Your detailed advice is greatly appreciated and will save me hours of work. I will visit my local library as you suggest.
Regards