Author Topic: parish records on the genealogist  (Read 2094 times)

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
parish records on the genealogist
« on: Saturday 09 February 19 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been looking at the diamond sub on the Genealogist.
I think I would mainly be interested in parish records, are those on the Genealogist for the most part transcriptions rather than the actual register images being available?

I already have ancestry world, but ancestry are not that good for Worcestershire, whereas the Genealogist seemed to have quite a list for that county.

Any advice welcome.

Also regarding their 'new' criminal records, (transportation etc), are those records covering areas beyond what is available on ancestry if one looks at criminal for uk and for Australia?

thanks,
Lisa

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: parish records on the genealogist
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 19 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I've not had a Genealogist sub for some years but most of their parish registers then were transcripts or copies of published transcripts.  The Worcestershire PRs are I believe all transcriptions done with I think Malvern Family History Society and aren't complete.  If you've not already had a trial sub with them, worth looking at that before committing to purchase a subscription.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 19 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Phone them, they are very helpful, or use the forum.

Martin

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 19 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I've not had a Genealogist sub for some years but most of their parish registers then were transcripts or copies of published transcripts.  The Worcestershire PRs are I believe all transcriptions done with I think Malvern Family History Society and aren't complete.  If you've not already had a trial sub with them, worth looking at that before committing to purchase a subscription.

thanks Smudwhisk, I'll have a look at the trial sub.
Some years ago when I was able to visit the archives at Worcester, a group of people were busy photographing parish registers, I think that was connected with the Malvern Family History Society, but I noticed then that it was transcriptions that were available via their webpages, not access/or linked to the actual images.
It's a shame, as it so much better to be able to browse through the 'originals' online.

thanks,
Lisa

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 19 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Phone them, they are very helpful, or use the forum.

Martin

thanks Martin,
will have a look at the forum for sure.

Lisa

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 19 20:15 GMT (UK) »
You can only post on the forum if you have a current sub.
Cowban

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 February 19 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Details of the Malvern FHS transcript project and tie-up with TheGenealogist - https://mfhs.org.uk/projects-2/worcestershire-parish-records/.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 February 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
You can only post on the forum if you have a current sub.

thanks

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 February 19 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Details of the Malvern FHS transcript project and tie-up with TheGenealogist - https://mfhs.org.uk/projects-2/worcestershire-parish-records/.

oh thanks for the link, I've been comparing date ranges and parishes available, so that's really helpful thank you. :)