Author Topic: Griffith's valuation - shared parcels?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Griffith's valuation - shared parcels?
« on: Saturday 09 February 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I have found two parcels bracketed together on Griffith's Valuation of Ballyneddan Townland, Kilbroney Parish, Co. Down, and also in the first three Revision Books, although the tenants' names are different. This persists in the Revision Books even when one of the tenants dies and is replaced.

Does anyone know for sure what this means, or can take a guess? My guess is they split the rent, as shown on Griffith's - I will attach the whole image. And in the first book, which won't show in the image.

Was this common, were the people necessarily related or what?

I will attach the first Valuation Revision Book screenshot to the next post.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith's valuation - shared parcels?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 19 17:46 GMT (UK) »
here is the image of the same parcel in the first Revision Book

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this, it explains a lot about GV
https://leitrim-roscommon.com/GRIFFITH/Griffiths.PDF

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 19 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. That was the first time I've seen where two people were jointly responsible for one piece of land. I couldn't picture a landlord or tenants agreeing to anything like that today, so I was a bit mystified.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. That was the first time I've seen where two people were jointly responsible for one piece of land. I couldn't picture a landlord or tenants agreeing to anything like that today, so I was a bit mystified.

Have to disagree. "Tenants in common" is a standard option on many a contract I have seen.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 07:47 GMT (UK) »

Have to disagree. "Tenants in common" is a standard option on many a contract I have seen.

Can be tenants in common in equal shares or tenants in common in unequal shares.  A different type of tenancy from  joint tenants.