Author Topic: Stephen Church of The Grove Moyletra Toy  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Church of The Grove Moyletra Toy
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 February 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »
aghadowney would you think Stephen's murder was an Agrarian Murder, given he had been an agent and was at the time trying to increase his farm.
If the family story is correct and it was a member of his family I guess it would have been a good time to get the blame passed on to the wider community.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bradwago/cousin

The attached photo is of Grove House as it was before the current building. The Grove was a freehold purchased for our ancestor George Church in 1627 by his father Thomas and part of it is still in the family. I will message you with more details.

AK2

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Although not as grand as the current house, this was the only 2-storey house in the whole parish of Desertoghill when the Ordnance Survey wrote their memoir in 1837. John Church (1755-1818) inherited the property when his father George ( a great grandson of the original George Church) died in 1777. He was a barrister and created the family trust which owned the property until it was split up under the land acts around 1900. His brother Stephen married John's sister in law, Alicia Orr, and the murder victim was their grandson. When Stephen Jr was agent, the family trust was vested in James Church, the first cousin of Stephen's father. John had built a new main house on other property owned by the family at Myroe outside Limavady. This house was built in 1786, after which Grove House was occupied by other family members rather than the "owner".  When Stephen lived there he was actually the "owner" of a neighbouring farm called Tullycreggan where his grandfather had lived. Alicia Hartley Bloxham was the name of James's wife.

Stephen's wife was apparently Elizabeth Morrow but I have no documentary proof of this.

AK2

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 February 19 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Stephen's wife was apparently Elizabeth Morrow but I have no documentary proof of this.

James Church's eldest daughter was called Elizabeth Morrow Orr Church and it could be that she was named after her paternal grandmother.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bradwago

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 February 19 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all! 

We plan to visit the area in July.  While I'm sorry the original house it gone, it is better to know the truth that the family didn't actually live in the existing structure.  Is the old church still there, or has it been replaced or removed also?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 February 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
The Church at Moyletra (Desertoghill Parish Church of Ireland) was built in 1774 and is still in use. It replaced an older building closer to the town of Garvagh, which is now in ruins in the midst of the old parish graveyard where many of the Church family, including my gt grandparents, are buried.

https://derryandraphoe.org/errigal-desertoghill-kilrea