Author Topic: My Brother Lost his Daughter to Cancer and I Wanted to Cheer Him UP with help  (Read 860 times)

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
Cheery Hello All!

I want to begin by thanking you for taking on this little project.  I lost my father when I was just 31 years old to an aortic aneurysm.  My parents had me very late in life after having two sons early on.  My brother Tom and I lost our brother Larry when he turned 52 years old.  Last year he lost his only daughter to cancer.  After talking to him today, my heart went out to him for all the pain he is going through.  I was trying to figure out what would cheer him up a smidgeon.  I knew how close he was to our father and thought back on the conversations I had with Dad before he died.

Having been the type of girl who loved to hear stories about the family, I remember asking Dad about his high school years.  He told me he and his brother were pretty athletic and played high school sports.  He did mention he placed first in state in shot-put. 

I thought it would be nice to have a cleaned up copy of this photo for my brother.  I am not sure if you can isolate my father who is in front.  Thanks again.
Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: My Brother Lost his Daughter to Cancer and I Wanted to Cheer Him UP with help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 19 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Sad to lose a child, Carole. Hope this helps a little.

Now, I have to ask - your dad being an elite athlete - Any relation to the "Flying Finn"?

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Brother Lost his Daughter to Cancer and I Wanted to Cheer Him UP with help
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 19 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, The stance of your dad in that photograph is more like the one for a discus.  Shotput  is usually a round ball that is tucked up under the chin. 

Valerie Adams is a NZer who won gold at Beijing Olympics.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47da32t4uLs

Often talented amateurs were able to compete in both events.
PS The picture by McGroger is classic discus

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Good point, Shanreagh.
I think Carole herself would be aware her dad is holding a discus (under her image: John Albert Nurmi - Al - 1st in State Shot-put - Disc - Bergen Evening Record -Page 18 - Tenafly High School.jpg) but people unfamiliar with the different field events may not be aware that it's not an illustration of his best event, the shot put.
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi     

http://paavonurmi.fi/en/life-story/

Any relation?     
I remember the runnner from childhood.     

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, I hope this helps to cheer your brother up a bit,
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Carole in Dallas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Life is evanescent but love eternal.
    • View Profile
Father Restoration - Deep Appreciation! Many MANY THANKS!
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 19 18:29 GMT (UK) »
HUGS hugs and more hugs! Thanks ever ever so much for these restorations. You did a wonderful wonderful job. I am thrilled to death and tickled pink as they say over here in the US! Your work will live on forever.

I had thought about having the photo restored “as is” as well. Would be lovely to have both individuals in the photo since they both tied for first in the discus throw. My deepest gratitude and appreciate is sent your way. I wanted   to post the finished product on findagrave, ancestry and familysearch and do need a name I can place with the photo to give as credit.  Thanks for including that.

About Discus vs Shot-put. All of you are correct about discus!  He placed first in shot-put and tied for 1st in discus. Apparently, the gentleman behind him must have been the fellow who also placed 1st in discus.  I noticed the error in the spelling afterward of discus! 

With the Nurmi tie...and Paavo.  Do not believe we are related.  I did love to run when I was younger, however.  Would work out and run on the sandy beaches of the Palm Beach area of Florida on the Atlantic Coast to build up my endurance and strength.  11 years ago, an epidural/spinal block needle used for aesthesia cut the nerves to my right leg.  That paralyzed my right leg. Now I walk with a walker!  I remember crying for a few days once I returned home to a walker. The old “me” was gone and I was lamenting my lot. I knew I had to find something to replace the travel I once loved.  I discovered the new hobby of genealogy where I could help others with their family trees.  In the act of helping others, I stopped feeling sorry for myself.  It was in the art of giving that I found myself once again. Now I work 40 to 60 hours a week inputting memorials on findagrave.com, creating trees and solving puzzles where others have come to a block in their research.  As they say with that well-known adage – Every cloud has a silver lining.

I do hope this note finds all of you doing well!   And thanks once again.

Wylde, Barrow, Andrews, Tracy, Tracey, Cocks, Dowdeswell, Roland, Steyner, Fewtrell, Gambuti, Nurmi, Haring, Requa, Blauvelt, Smith, Shirley, Kemp, Withey, Requa, Snider, Blauvelt, Sherwood, Yeury, Blaunch, Bell, Graham, Smith, Riker, Everetts, Bogaert, Everts, Evertse, Glaes, Laurens, Boogaertman, Cozyns

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk