Author Topic: Selby Cemetery MIs  (Read 756 times)

Offline MrSaunders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Selby Cemetery MIs
« on: Sunday 10 February 19 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Does anyone know if there are memorial inscriptions for Selby cemetery published? I'm trying to find out what was inscribed on this headstone for William Saunders.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/38030599/william-saunders

Many thanks!
In Scotland:-
McCulloch, Saunders, Sanders, Sanderson, Saunderson, Anderson, Ward, Graham
In England:-
Lovell, Ward, Didmon, Harman

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Selby Cemetery MIs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 19 10:31 GMT (UK) »
When I asked recently, locals were compiling an M.I.

Transcriptions of the Selby Cemetery Register say:-
William Saunders
35 Years
Death Year 1874
Death Place Wide St, Selby
Burial Selby Cemetery
Consecrated part
Plot ref: 1349
Innkeeper
Rev F. W. Harper

There is also an image in the Selby Parish Register and I can see that which says ...
d.
July
4 (in the binding)
William Saunders
Abode Selby
Buried July 7
Age 35
By whom the Ceremony was performed. F. W. Harper, Vicar.

Mark

Offline MrSaunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 19 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful! I've applied to update the Findagrave too.
Thanks

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I presume you have found:-
1871 Census
Micklegate, Selby, Yorkshire 
William Saunders, Head, Mar, 31, Innkeeper, born Scotland.
Ann Saunders, Wife, Mar, age 33, born Yorkshire Selby.
Emily Saunders, Daur, 1 year 4 Months, born Yorkshire Selby.
Charlotte Walker, Servant, 14, General Servant, Born Yorkshire Riccall.

Two Bradley[?] neighbours.

Wide Street, Selby, was also called Micklegate, Selby. So if the Selby Cemetery transcriptions have recorded the correct address from the Selby Cemetery Register, the Census looks to tie up.

Looking at the GRO Index on gov.uk for Emily, it gives Mother's Maiden Surname, so the actual Certificate Copy will hopefully confirm full name and details of Mother, address, Father's Occupation etc. (Some Baptisms confirm nee surname, but many don't).

Looks like they Married at Selby in 1867? (image on f m p). Although William Saunders, Bachelor was a book keeper and from Spring Field Place, Leeds at Marriage, but Father-in-Law David Bradley was an Innkeeper, if I have the correct Marriage.

I expect you may have the Birth and Marriage already and if I have the correct one, it gives the Father and Father's Occupation of William Saunders as William Todd Saunders, Farmer.

Our English Library has access to the two main Family History sites covering England.

Mark

Offline MrSaunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 11:29 GMT (UK) »
That’s great. Thanks Mark. I have the ancestry for William. I was hoping to find children for this marriage. I believe there was one - Emily. Williams wife Ann appears to have remarried and she and Emily adopted the new surname.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
That’s great. Thanks Mark. I have the ancestry for William. I was hoping to find children for this marriage. I believe there was one - Emily. Williams wife Ann appears to have remarried and she and Emily adopted the new surname.

Hello

Emily Saunders was in the 1871 Census aged 1 year 4 Months, born Yorkshire, Selby (see Census).

If you look for Emily Saunders in the 1881 Census, you'll find her with a John & Ann Southwood, as Daur.

If you suspect Ann Saunders (William's Widow) remarried, then try a Marriage Index search with Ann Saunders and the Southwood surname first (on Free BMD).
https://www.freebmd.org.uk

There is a Marriage at Selby, England, in the June Quarter of 1876.

An image says:-

June 11 1876 Parish Church in the Parish of Selby
John Southwood, 29, Bachelor, Auctioneer, Selby Finkle Street, Father John Southwood, Cabinet - Maker.
Ann Saunders, 37, Widow, Residence Selby Wide Street, Father David Bradley, Inn - Keeper.
By Licence.
Two witneses James [ ? ] Southwood and George Oldridge.

From all the information so far, it should be possible to find them in the 1891 Census (if still alive) and see if any other children? However, some children might be born and die within the 10 year period between each Census (and never appear in any Census).

Also to check for children, search by surname Southwood, with the Mother's Maiden surname in the (MMS) box, by Male and then by Female on the UK GRO (General Register Office) gov.uk website (sign in free to check, before ordering a Certificate).

General Comment

Regarding Father's surname and Mother's Maiden surname searches generally, I have seen previously up to three couples with same surnames (in England & Wales) having children around the same time, so nothing can be assumed. However, you will have some Registration District/s, Birth year/s and name/s of those children (if any), to do some further research and checks with.

I've found 3 Trees in a Month regarding other families, that don't agree with the actual documents and links suggested, cannot be made.

I'll leave you to check it all out.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 07:08 GMT (UK) »
In the 1881 England and Wales Census, at Micklegate, Selby, Yorkshire, underneath John Southwood, Licenced Victualler & Auctioneer, Ann Southwood and Emily Saunders, Daur, aged 11, Scholar, born Yorkshire Selby, is:-

"Griffin Inn", Sarah Ann Southwood, Daur, aged 3, born Yorkshire Selby.
Eliza Houseman, Serv, Unm? [Enumerator's mark across], 22, Gen Serv, born Yorkshire Selby.

Just noticed the Southwood, Daughter when looking again at the 1881 Census image.

Mark