Author Topic: extensive search in London 1830-60's  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: extensive search in London 1830-60's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Entirely consistent with history. The French were renowned for lace making and dyeing. In 1836 (reign of King Louis Philippe 1830 to 1848), may well have been a slump in trade, hence move to England. Fox Talbot of Laycock Abbey took photographs of his wife's lace to illustrate the marvel of the new technology. By 1860, womens fashions were becoming 'dowdy' and may have caused the failure of their business.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »
business named LUNDY and Julien, it seems that he has developed his business on the initiative of his stepfather
We would say 'father-in-law' if he was Josephine's father. Possibly the Pierre mentioned by ShaunJ.

I have searched the Masonic lists on ancestry without success for Julien & Lundy surnames; I don't think they are not comprehensive however.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline JA JULIEN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Entirely consistent with history. The French were renowned for lace making and dyeing. In 1836 (reign of King Louis Philippe 1830 to 1848), may well have been a slump in trade, hence move to England. Fox Talbot of Laycock Abbey took photographs of his wife's lace to illustrate the marvel of the new technology. By 1860, womens fashions were becoming 'dowdy' and may have caused the failure of their business.
Very interesting comment, i notice it !
Slump in trade, or in contrary, developed and exported ?

We would say 'father-in-law' if he was Josephine's father. Possibly the Pierre mentioned by ShaunJ.

Sorry, my English is unperfect, to not say pretty bad. In French "Beau-père" is a same word for "father-in-law" or "stepfather".
However Pierre LUNDY seems like he was like a father for Anacharsis (who was orphan by the father) so, finally maybe "stepfather" isn't that much wrong ^^

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 21:05 GMT (UK) »
The children with mothers maiden name Thomas comes from the new GRO index of births and deaths
you have to register but it is free to use.
I did not find Cecily, Paul or William.

The Charles I referred to ( 1838-1844) was the same age as Archarsis Julien , so I was thinking he was a cousin or possibly a brother.

Offline JA JULIEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 February 19 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i found in France (champsecret, Orne, 1900) a transcription of a consular death record.
There is Alphonse Auguste JULIEN dead in London, 62 walks street on the 28/01/1898.
Who were born in London on the 31/08/1869.
Father Pierre-Louis JULIEN, Mother Anne Marie Chenais.

it is probable that Pierre-Louis JULIEN  is a nephew of Anacharsis. I d'like to retrace all the lineage but i don't know how to do free research in england.

Offline JA JULIEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 February 19 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I found in France (champsecret, Orne, 1900) a transcription of a consular death record.
There is Alphonse Auguste JULIEN dead in London, 62 walks street on the 28/01/1898.
Who were born in London on the 31/08/1869.
Father Pierre-Louis JULIEN, Mother Anne Marie Chenais.

it is probable that Pierre-Louis JULIEN  is a nephew of Anacharsis. I d'like to retrace all the lineage but I don't know how to do free research in england.

On the the gro I found :
 Death : JULIEN, ALPHONSA  AUGUSTA      28 
GRO Reference: 1898  M Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 01C  Page 325

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 February 19 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Address was 62 Walker St. My [poor] French makes out that he was born in Londres 31 aout 1869? Parents Pierre Louis Julien & Anne Marie Chevraut/Chevrais
GRO entry
JULLIEN, ALPHONSE  AUGUSTE     CHESNAIS 
GRO Reference: 1869  S Quarter in STEPNEY  Volume 01C  Page 483

1871 RG10; Piece: 553; Folio: 73; Page: 4 @ 23 Walker St, Limehouse
Louis Jullien   58 should be 38 gold refiner
Anne Jullien   55 should be 35
Marie Jullien   9
Louis Jullien   6
All born France [so marriage presumably in France ca 1858 - 1861.
Alpharise [sic] Jullien   1
born Mile End

1881 RG11; Piece: 487; Folio: 62; Page: 41 @ 39 Huddart St
Louis Jullien   48 refiner chemicals
Anne Jullien   46
Marie Jullien   19
Louis Jullien   16
All born France
Alphonse Jullien   11
born Mile End

ADDED: Informant was Paul Moffat Maffret, plombier, who was the husband of Alphonse's sister Marie. Anne lived with them 1901/1911.
Louis died 1884.
Deaths Dec 1884   
Julien    Louis Pierre F    54    Westminster    1a   354
Anne died 1918
Deaths Dec 1918   
Julien    Anne    83    Whitechapel    1c   497
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline JA JULIEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 February 19 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you !

All born France [so marriage presumably in France ca 1858 - 1860.

Is there a way to know the city ?

Anacharsis had a brother, Pierre-Louis (1802-1875 La Feuillie France) but i didn't find any son of Pierre Louis ( myabe they were born in other city)
Our Louis JULLIEN could be a son of Pierre Louis

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 February 19 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I have no knowledge of research of French records. Anne Marie was said on 1891 census to have been born in Orne, Marie in Paris & Louis jnr in Orne.

There is a rootschat member 'joger' who is French & has a very good knowledge of how to research French records, maybe you can send him a personal message & ask him to help? On the brown top bar, find 'My Messages' then 'Send a Message' put joger in the recipient field. He has been a tremendous help with this thread
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=807413.0