Author Topic: Ballinrobe 1833  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinrobe 1833
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 February 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
On her death record, her mother is named Mary Tyron and her father James was a doctor (maybe some archives about ballinrobe's hospital ?)
Would the hospital have been at the workhouse?
Workhouse in Ballinrobe.
www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/about-mayo/history/workhouses-in-county-mayo/workhouses/ballinrobe.html
Historical Ballinrobe
www.historicalballinrobe.com/category/homecontact_us
Cowban

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 February 19 18:37 GMT (UK) »
More on Ballinrobe Workhouse here which didn't open until 1842- http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Ballinrobe/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 February 19 18:40 GMT (UK) »
On the wedding contract, i found :
She is the daughter of James GREAVEN (dead in 1848) and Mary Tyrrell of Tyrone(dead around 1835 in Ballinrobe), she has some brothers and sister born during the 1820-1835 period).
Do you have ANY details about these brothers and sisters?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JA JULIEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 February 19 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for your fast answers !

I need to share you more information, i have a family tree made by my great-grand-father (the grandson of Ellen) 50 years ago. I only have the tree (the 3 attachements), i don't have any records to prouve it (but we can consider the tree is correct I guess) 

Well, Let's start with the couple James Greaven + Mary Tyrrell of Tyrone :
- James Greaven was born in Ballinrobe 1794 and dead Ballinslow[Galway] in 1848
- Mary ToT died In Ballinrobe in 1835
- they probably got married around 1820
- they got at least 6 childrens in Ballinrobe, the second, Anthony was born in 1821, Ellen was born in 1833
- It is look like all the childrens who were orphaned by the mother, left Ireland because of the great famine, we can see Maria and Bridget left to Canada with Andrew, Ellen went to London with Kathleen(who became a nun), and Anthony left to Dublin and became Baron of kimmage.

Paris, or even France, is an unlikely place to send a young girl during or just after the Great Famine which a good reason. Perhaps she was entrusted to nuns or went there as a governess or servant. I can't see any links to a noble family.

Well noticed ! she probably met her french futur husband in London and then she followed him when he came back to Paris.
Indeed, Charles lived nearly 15 year in London, i found in the 1851's census they were living in the same house :

I did find record of Anthony James Greaves, apothocary, of Galway town, who died in 1865-
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014890/005014890_00134.pdf
Anthony Joseph Greaven died 13 Mar.1865 age 68.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGK1-KTJJ

Maybe that Anthony is a brother of James, James died in County Galway ...

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Thanks, i'm delighted to discover this community, I can now start on my Irish lines :)

Maiden Stone, thank you for the reference, i will explore theses passionately !

My main goal is to find some records about Mary ToT to find her parents !

I hope my english do not shock too much (my native language is French)

Cordialy

Edit : i have also this note from a cousin, it is about the James greaven's children. But there is maybe be some mistakes ( for example, we see Ellen is born in Dublin but on her death records it is written Ballinrobe ) :

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 February 19 01:49 GMT (UK) »
As you are beginning on your Irish ancestors I recommend a website Irish Toolkit which has much advice and guidance. htpps:///www.irish-genealogy.com
Ellen's sister was a nun so we may assume that the family was Catholic, although the Church of England (Church of Ireland in Ireland) also has some orders of nuns. If only one parent was Catholic, their marriage may have been in either church and children may have been baptised in either religious denomination. Knowing the religion is very important when searching for baptisms and marriages in Ireland. Few church registers exist for the times James married and his children were born.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 February 19 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Re. Baron of Kimmage.
See Wikipedia article Terenure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki
"Terenure, Drimnagh and Kimmage were given to the Barnweil family by King John in 1215." Various owners since then. One owner was Joseph Dean 1674-1715 who was Chief Baron of the Irish Exchequer. (Finance minister) Terenure then passed to the Bourne family.
Cowban

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 February 19 12:48 GMT (UK) »
There's a Dr. James Greaven mentioned in Irish newspapers but he seems to have been at Ellis Quay, Dublin in 1847. In 1850 directory there's a Denis Greaven at 27 Ellis's Quay.
https://www.libraryireland.com/DublinDirectory1850/g.php

I did find record of Anthony James Greaves, apothocary, of Galway town, who died in 1865-
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014890/005014890_00134.pdf
Anthony Joseph Greaven died 13 Mar.1865 age 68.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGK1-KTJJ

Hello,
where can we go and see the newspaper? This James Greaven could be the one JA is searching. He died in 1848 (according to  Ellen Greaven) in Ballinslow ? which does not exist ( I think so). He could have been in Dublin in 1847.

What is the correct name of the village , according to you (you should manage with this better than me). ? I think it could be Ballinasloe.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 February 19 17:54 GMT (UK) »
where can we go and see the newspaper? This James Greaven could be the one JA is searching. He died in 1848 (according to  Ellen Greaven) in Ballinslow ? which does not exist ( I think so). He could have been in Dublin in 1847.

What is the correct name of the village , according to you (you should manage with this better than me). ? I think it could be Ballinasloe.
I assumed it was Ballinasloe. Ballinasloe is in Galway but was in a different county before some  boundary changes in 19th century.
Cowban

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 February 19 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
Dr James Greaven : in which newspaper did you find him?