Author Topic: Searching for WW1 Medal Record  (Read 879 times)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Searching for WW1 Medal Record
« on: Sunday 10 February 19 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Sadly I started my family history research when it was too late, and most of the previous generation had passed.   I have tried many times to find any service records for my grandfather without success, so I assume his records were lost.   He served in 9th Bn HLI -  I know this from the birth certificates of his two daughters, both of which he registered and signed.   Knowing his date of marriage, and the birth and dates above I searched for a Medal Index card and by a process of illimitation have identified what I think is his service number as 5791 Enlisted 18/5/1915.

The medal index card I found on Ancestry shows enlistment in 1915 and discharge 1919 and with annotations in the right column, but nothing about medals.  I have also searched the Ancestry images of the medal roll for both the War medal and Star but cannot find him. 

Would there be any reason for him not getting these medals ? 

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for WW1 Medal Record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
What you have there is a Regimental Service Number - many other regiments will also likely have a 5791 ;D

He will only have been awarded medals if he served in a Theatre of War.
So, if he stayed in the UK, there won't be any medals.

A name for the chap would make things easier for us to search?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry missed the obvious bit of info  :o

His name is Thomas McCabe.   9th Bn HLI, Born 1891. 
This is the index card I refer to.

Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:50 GMT (UK) »
It is the record of his Silver War Badge noting his discharge under Para 392 (xvi) no longer physically fit for war service.

Of the three HLI battalions with 9 in the title, two of them 2/9th and 3/9th didn't service overseas which may explain the no medal card.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 February 19 15:55 GMT (UK) »
It is the record of his Silver War Badge noting his discharge under Para 392 (xvi) no longer physically fit for war service.

Of the three HLI battalions with 9 in the title, two of them 2/9th and 3/9th didn't service overseas which may explain the no medal card.

MaxD

Thank you for that info.   When you say its a record of his silver war badge as distinct from a medal, is there a roll for that anywhere ?

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 February 19 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Found the Silver War Badge index on Ancestry.  Not that easy to find !  Unfortunately, although it has the entry for Thomas McCabe 5791 HLI, it also shows his age as 23 which is too young for it to be the correct Thomas.   My Thomas would have been 28 in 1919.   Damn ! 

However, I have now found an entry in the UK, Military Discharge Indexes, 1920-1971 for a Thos McAbe which has a date of birth EXACT to the day as my Thomas.   It has a regimental number 3305013, but does not show the regiment.   

Frustrating business

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 February 19 16:51 GMT (UK) »
The number is a post 1920 HLI number and its presence on that database says the record is still held by the MOD and has to be applied (and paid) for.
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

As this register knows him as McAbe, it would be as well to call him that.  Second thought, not a good idea.  The MOD data base does have McAbe but his record will surely have his correct name.  In any event, his number and date of birth match and they go on the application.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 February 19 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help with this.  I had a look at the MOD requirements for a search.  I don't have a copy of his actual death certificate, tho I have the Statutory Record from Scotland's People.  So fingers crossed.

Thanks again, your help has directed me to a few useful sites that help me understanding war records etc.

Andrew     

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 February 19 08:30 GMT (UK) »
It may be as well to call the helpline at Glasgow to check on the acceptability of the Scotland's People record 0345 600 9663.  They are always very helpful.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk