Author Topic: Is this my John Roberts?  (Read 124 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Is this my John Roberts?
« on: Sunday 10 February 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Eliminate if you can!

Eliza Roberts is my 2x great grandmother, but I haven't found her parents.  All I know is that she named her father on her 1871 marriage as John Roberts, Soldier, 38th Infantry.  Eliza gives her birthplace as Halifax, Canada, on the 1871 & 1881 census.  She was born c1850 and died in 1885.  She lived in Birmingham, but also had some connections to Warwick.

The 38th Regiment of Foot were in Halifax, Nova Scotia at the time of her birth, and I've recently come across the British Army Worldwide Index which confirms that John Roberts was a private in the 38th in 1841 and 1851.  His service number was 1886.  I've been through the medal lists for the Crimean War and he doesn't appear there, so I am guessing for now that he left the army after the regiment returned to England from Canada in August 1851.  (Some of the 38th are at Chester Barracks in the 1851 census, but he isn't among them.)

I've found a possible family in the census from 1861 onwards.  I note that John's birthplace is Wolverhampton, and the 38th was aka the Staffordshire Regiment, so that caught my eye.  I can't find this family in 1851 - can anyone help to rule them in or out?

Woodbine Cottage, Darwin St, Bordesley, Birmingham

John Roberts, head, m, 41, brass tube maker, Wolverhampton Staffs.
Emma, wife, m, 41, Winchcombe Glos.
Thomas, son, 12, Birmingham
Eliza, daughter, 10, Birmingham
John, son, 8, Birmingham

Woodbine Cottage, Darwin St, Bordesley

John Roberts, head, m, 50,  tube maker, Wolverhampton Staffs.
Emma, wife, m, 51, housekeeper, Gloucester
Thomas, son, unm, 22, tube maker, Birmingham
William, son, 7, scholar, Birmingham

57 Dymoke St, Deritend, Birmingham

John Roberts, head, m, 60, brass tube drawer, Wolverhampton Staffs.
Emma, wife, m, 61, Birmingham
William, son, unm, 17, brass tube drawer, Birmingham

7 Lovers Walk, Aston Manor, Birmingham

John Roberts, head, m, 70, case tube maker,  ditto (Aston probably a copying error)
Emma, wife, m, 72, Gloucester

5 Lovers Walk

William Roberts, head, m, 28, case tube maker, Birmingham
Louisa, wife, m, 32, Birmingham
Violet, daughter, 6, scholar, Aston
Lilian, daughter, 1, Aston

Postings of the 38th Regiment were

1822 1836  India
1836 1837  England
1837 1840  Ireland
1840 1843  Zante, Ionian Isles
1843 1845  Gibraltar
1845 1848  Jamaica
1848 1851  Halifax, Nova Scotia
1851 1854  England
1854 1857  Crimea

UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is this my John Roberts?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 19 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I hate to say it but I don't think this is 'your' John.

John Roberts, widower, Tube Maker, son of Joseph Roberts, carpenter, married Emma Boswell, widow, 10/12/1860 Edgbaston - her maiden name was Hemming.

The son shown as William 8 on 1871 census - birth reg'd June 1863 Aston, mmn Hemming.

In 1851 at Darwin Street, Aston, Warwickshire

John Roberts  30   Brass Tube Maker      born Birmingham ?? (think this is wrong)
Ann Roberts  31                                   born Kidderminster, Worcs.
Mary A. Roberts 10
Ellen Roberts 9
Thomas Roberts 2
Eliza Roberts 7ms.   - children all born Birmingham

Checking the childrens births it would appear their mmn was Parker - ironically, can find the births for the first 3 children (1st two in Aston, 3rd. in Birmingham) showing mmn Parker, but cannot find a corresponding birth for Eliza!

1841 - Aston, Warwickshire

John Roberts  20   Tube Maker J. (i.e. journeyman)   Not born in County
Ann Roberts 20                                                      Not born in County
Mary Roberts 1                                                       Born in County

So, sometime between 1853 and 1860 first wife Ann died (2 or 3 possibilities in death index) and John remarried to Emma.

Certainly doesn't look like this John Roberts ever served in the army.   Sorry!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Is this my John Roberts?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 19 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Annette - I did try to check for mmn's but couldn't make any sense out of it.  No wonder with 2 wives and one a widow!  Just needed a fresh eye.

I may need to go to TNA and slog through the muster rolls, but at least I have some idea where to start now. 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.