Author Topic: Maria HOWELL marriage 25 May 1856  (Read 1498 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria HOWELL marriage 25 May 1856
« on: Sunday 10 February 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am looking for some help in confirming the identity / family of Maria Howell.  She married James Lee Rees on 25 May 1856 at Steynton, Pembs. The marriage record confirms her father was Benjamin and that Maria was 20 years old.

When I search for her baptism on Findmypast, giving father as Benjamin, place Steynton, born 1836, I get 3 possibles:
 (1) Maria Howell, born 2 May 1836 father John, mother Margaret
 (2) Mary Howell born 6 July 1835 father Benjamin, mother Margaret
 (3) Mary Ann Howell born 22 Feb 1835 father James and mother Martha.

Initially I followed up no. 2 and assumed Maria's name had originally been Mary. But when I went to look for Maria in 1841 census I can find a Maria Howell b. 1837 and a Mary Howell b. 1835 both living with numerous siblings and parents Benjamin and Margaret Howell in Steynton.

I searched for parents John and Margaret Howell (1) in 1841 and find them but with no children.  But I can see a John and Margaret Howell baptising children in Steynton (Elizabeth b.1826,William b.1829, Anne b.1830 and Maria b.1836).

So might there have been a mix up in the name written on the baptism form for Maria's father?

If I simply search for Maria Howell b.1836 with father Benjamin and mother Margaret it gives no results, well clearly this family (above) in 1841 did have a child called Maria born in/around that time.

I'd be very grateful for people's thoughts.

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Maria HOWELL marriage 25 May 1856
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 19 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I forgot to say that, on the marriage record, it lists the profession of Maria Howell's father, Benjamin, as "blacksmith".  This matches the profession listed against Benjamin Howell in the 1841 census.

I'm convinced an error has been made but would like someone else to look into it.

Thank you for reading this.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 19 18:25 GMT (UK) »
On the marriage cert for Maria and James the witnesses names are B Howell (which could be her father Benjamin) and John Howell who could be her brother that is with Maria on the 1841.

It could very well be that the baptism on 6 July 1835 is the correct Maria despite her name on the baptism record being Mary

JJ

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JJen for your comments.

I've found John and Margaret Howell with children Elizabeth, Maria and Celia on the 1851 census, in which John is listed as labourer. This John is listed as "pocket finesman???" on the baptism of Maria Howell on 2 May 1836.

Maria's father is shown on her marriage cert as Benjamin and that he was a blacksmith.  The Benjamin (with Margaret) on 1841 census is also listed as blacksmith as is the Benjamin baptising "Mary Howell" on 6 July 1835. I therefore conclude that he was my Maria's father.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 13:35 GMT (UK) »
You didnt mention the 1851 Census?
Benjamin Howell 48
Margaret Howell   50
John Howell   19
Mary Howell   16
Maria Howell   14
Arthur Howell   12
Margaret Howell   8

HOWELL, MARGARET, Mothers mn JENKIN***
GRO Reference: 1843  D Quarter in HAVERFORDWEST  Volume 26  Page 626

Something is wrong here though. I cant find a Birth Reg for Arthur 1839.

Now there is a Marriage;
21 October 1822, Robeston West, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Benjamin HOWELL to Margaret WATERS
(Familysearch.Org)

And a Bapt;
Margaret WATERS 09 Feb 1799 St James, Dale, to JOHN/MARIA

And a possible Marriage same Church;
MARIA Waters, Widow* to Jeremiah HAYES, Widower, 25 Jan 1821

On Census Benjamin is born New Moat;
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/NewMoat
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 18:48 GMT (UK) »
I can find a baptism on Findmypast for Margaret Howells to Benjamin and Margaret on 22 Dec 1845 (but birth was 22 Sept 1842). 

However, I cannot find baptisms for Henry b.1824 and Benjamin b. 1829 (years given on 1841 and 1851 census). So it leads me to wonder whether in fact Maria (who is listed on 1841 and 1851 as b.1837) was not actually baptised at all.  As the family did not baptise Margaret (above) until three years after her birth, it suggests to me that Henry, Benjamin and Maria were probably not baptised.

I think I may have come to the right conclusion in the end.

Thanks for your help.