Author Topic: Elizabeth Livingstone, Glasgow, born c1888  (Read 2727 times)

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Livingstone, Glasgow, born c1888
« on: Sunday 10 February 19 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, good people!
After my disaster where I 'lost' about 300 people, I'm back. So are they, mostly! :D
So onward and upward...

In the 1891 census for Glassary, Lochgair, I have a record of an Elizabeth Livingstone 3 yrs old, born Lanarkshire, Glasgow. So, born around 1888.
Living with Lachlan Bell (47) at Gallanach 31, listed as niece. So, I'm assuming a female Bell married a male Livingstone...not a Livingstone to be seen anywhere in the tree other than her.

That's it. That's all I've got!
Can't find a birth record for her, can't find a marriage record for any Bell+Livingston(+-e) with any Bell (that fits) as a mother for Elizabeth.
Spoilt for choice for death records...hmm, which one to choose?

As an aside, can anyone explain why 'they' scored through some ages on the census forms, but not others? Lachlan, 47, scored, May, 45, scored, Lachlan, 14, scored, John D. 11, NOT scored, Mary, 8, not scored, Elizabeth Livingstone, (the niece in question) 3, scored, and Flora Bell, niece, 25, scored...what's that about? Not just the Bells, others are/aren't scored on the same page.
Thanks,
Iain
Bell, McRae, Granlie, Petersen (in Denmark). Seems I'm now hunting McVicars, McIntyres, Murdochs...and there's a Livingstone in there somewhere!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Livingstone, Glasgow, born c1888
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 19 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Search for the birth as Livingston and there are 4 possibilities but 3 have middle names.  Only one is just Elizabeth & birth was registered in Bridgeton
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 February 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at the 1891 entry and she is Elizabeth F  not just Elizabeth ???

Presumably the Elizabeth Falco Livingston on SP
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 February 19 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Carole, well spotted on the 'F'! I must get new glasses... ::)

Elizabeth Falconer Livingston Dec. 27th 1888. Daughter of Duncan Livingston and Jessie Livingston nee Fraser

I have a May Fraser 1839-1919 in my tree, my ggmother. I haven't dug into her too deeply as yet, but I will now...she needs to have a sister called Jessie  :D So far, she only has Ann and Georgina...

Thanks, hopefully going in the right direction now...
Iain
Bell, McRae, Granlie, Petersen (in Denmark). Seems I'm now hunting McVicars, McIntyres, Murdochs...and there's a Livingstone in there somewhere!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 February 19 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Marriage;

LIVINGSTON DUNCAN & FRASER JESSIE 1869
644/6 343 Blythswood

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 19 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked SP to see what May Bell’s maiden name was?  Elizabeth could belong to her side of the family

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 19 01:31 GMT (UK) »
I have a May Fraser 1839-1919 in my tree, my ggmother.
she needs to have a sister called Jessie  :D So far, she only has Ann and Georgina...

Can you please elaborate on the info. you have for the others above & where/when born for all?

Who was May's husband, where/when married & any other info. please?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 February 19 02:18 GMT (UK) »
"In the 1891 census for Glassary, Lochgair, I have a record of an Elizabeth Livingstone 3 yrs old, born Lanarkshire, Glasgow. So, born around 1888.
Living with Lachlan Bell (47) at Gallanach 31, listed as niece. So, I'm assuming a female Bell married a male Livingstone"

Not necessarily as the relationship is to the 'Head' of household i.e. you have to consider both options of Elizabeth's surname.

What was the name of Lachlan's wife incl. m/s?

It's always best to list the County of the place you find people i.e. Lochgair is a village in Glassary, which is a Parish in the County of Argyll (which helps others willing to help).

Annie

Offline IainBell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 February 19 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Lachlan Bell 1840-1917 and May Bell nee Fraser 1838-1919. They're solid, in the gravestone on my avatar. Married in Anderston 22nd May 1872. May's parents I have as William Fraser 1805(?) and Janet Ross 1810(?). Married Dec. 29th 1826.

So far, and only from smart matches, I have two sisters for May, Ann 1831 and Georgina 1836. All three born Forres. Lachlan was born in Glassary, Argyll.

I posted in 'Lanarkshire', as that was on the census where I have Elizabeth F. Livingstone (sic). She was in Glassary for that census, though, so perhaps Argyll as well would have been helpful.

The birth record for Elizabeth Dec. 26th 1888 has her parents as Duncan L. and Jessie L. nee Fraser. Marriage, as stated above, 1869 Blythswood. Duncan is listed as 'Compositor, journeyman'.

In the marriage certificate, parents are Duncan L., 'steamship stoker', and Margaret Livingston nee Livingston, for him, then William Fraser, 'gardener' (deceased) and Jessie Fraser nee Ross for her. William is also 'gardener' deceased on Lachlan and May's marriage record.

I have a marriage record of William Fraser and Janet Ross, in Tarbat, Ross and Cromarty 29/12/1826, which I believe is that of the parents of above-mentioned May, Ann and Georgina Fraser.  A smart match has turned up more siblings for May Fraser, (and a wheen of other folk!) but no 'Jessie'.
Sorry, I may be a bit slow here, but I can't see a connection where it's needed...
Thanks,
Iain