Author Topic: Parents of James Carey (abt. 1823--1868) Rochford, Essex  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of James Carey (abt. 1823--1868) Rochford, Essex
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 03:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I'm with everyone else here.    There was only one John Carey b.1850 Barling, and he was the son of John Carey and Mary Burles.

In 1851 he is with his parents and sister Mary b.1848 - as has been said already, John and Mary had a son John who was born Sept.1846 and died Dec.1846, Mary Ann born Mar.1848, John b.Mar.1850 and Samuel born Sept.1851, died Sept.1851.

John Carey senior died in Dec.1852 Rochford aged 31
Mary Carey (nee Burles) died Mar.1853 Rochford aged 27.

In 1861 at Barling, Mary junior is shown as 'niece' to an Ann Binks and John Carey junior is a boarder with a family named Pitt.   As their parents had both died this explains why they had been split up.

In 1871 at Barling John is still with the Pitt family but his sister Mary is now with him.

James and Emma did not have either a daughter Mary b.1848 or a son John b.1850 - 1851 census shows James and Emma in Barling and they have no son listed named John!

There are a few trees on Ancestry that have stated John was the son of James and Emma but with no proof to back this up.   Indeed, as we've all now clearly shown, John Carey born 1850 (and sister Mary born 1848) was not the son of James and Emma but of John Carey and Mary nee Burles who died within a few months of each other (John bur.18/10/1852 Barling, Mary bur.14/3/1853 Barling).

Unfortunately, the marriage certificate for John Carey and Ann Bailey in 1873 does not appear to be available online.

There was only one John Carey born 1850 Barling and he was the son of John and Mary.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline srjacob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 05:59 GMT (UK) »
I have the original marriage certificate for John Carey and Ann Bailey dated 12th April 1873. My mother gave it to me a few years ago.  I will try and get to a scanner and post it on ancestry.  It lists John's father as deceased; Mary Ann Carey was a witness. I will have to get back on Ancestry and rework through the Carey line. Dealing with threat of weather related power outages at the present.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Re. the marriage certificate can you tell us where the marriage took place?  I did look in Great Wakering and Barling (their respective birthplaces) but not there so perhaps it was in a register office.  Witness Mary Ann Carey makes sense, being his sister and does it name his father or simply say 'deceased'?

Mary was only 4/5 and John 2/3 when their parents died - how sad.

I note that in 1901 Mary (unmarried) and Elizabeth Carey (her niece and dau. of John and Ann) are both working as servants with a family named Gray in Prittlewell.

Annette   
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline srjacob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate was "solemnized" at the Registrar's Office in Rochford. John's father is "John Carey--deceased." I says his occupation was "husbandman."  Ann's was listed as "William Bailey" and his occupation was listed as "carpenter."

John Carey (groom) is listed as a blacksmith. It was a Civil Marriage.

I actually remember "Aunt Lizzy" (Elizabeth) and "Uncle Walter."  My mother (Annie Phoebe's daughter), father, and I lived with my grandparents--Annie and George Dunning. My grandmother died when I was a baby. Lizzy and Walter continued to live with my grandfather George the rest of their lives. I was six yrs. old the last time I saw them, and I remember them as being very small and delicate. Of course, to a child they were "ancient."

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for giving details of the 1873 marriage - however, as you confirm John's father was indeed John Carey, deceased, why were you thinking he was the son of James and Emma??    Would seem that James and John were brothers:

John Carey bp.15/4/1821 Rochford, Essex, son of John and Mary Ann
James Ellis Carey bp.3/11/1822 Rochford, Essex, son of John Ellis and Mary

John Carey bc.1798 buried 20/12/1833 Barling, Essex

Widow Mary Carey remarried to William Ellis 22/9/1838 Barling - he single, she a widow, both of full age, his father Martin Ellis, Labourer and her father Samuel White, servant.

Could not find online a marriage for John Carey and Mary but from the above her maiden name was White - she and William Ellis had a daughter Mary in Dec.qtr.1839 Rochford, mmn White.

From 1841 and 1851 census it would seem that besides sons John and James Ellis, John and Mary had at least 2 other children:

Samuel Ellis Carey bp.26/2/1826 Barling, dau. of John and Mary (surname listed as Kerry).
Catherine Ellis Carey bp.18/5/1834 Barling, dau. of John and Mary.

John Carey and Mary White must have married ca.1820 but can't find the marriage online.

John Carey was bc.1798 (place not known) and Mary White bc.1800 Thundersley, Essex (per 1851 census but cannot find baptism for her there).

Hope this helps.

Annette

London -  Monk

Offline srjacob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 22:05 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the updated info. I had just started on the Carey's and plugged in some info. from someone else's research (mistakenly, as you have pointed out). I am relatively new to all this, so it gets confusing (can't see the forest for trees sometimes). 

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 01:53 GMT (UK) »
A word of caution with regard to public trees on Ancestry - never accept what someone else has stated (especially when they don't state sources) and always check things out for yourself.

There have been many topics raised on here on the ludicrous aspects on a lot of the trees.   Too many cases to quote some of the things but a particular bugbear of mine is when links have been stated to various census entries and when you click on a link it's another family entirely!

Annette     
London -  Monk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 12:47 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800691.0

Have a look at some of the things on here.

Annette
London -  Monk